Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Offering

The Offering

This is the first version as originally envisaged.

The Offering

Re: The Offering

And an after some uming and arring...

The Offering

ultimately you get to the stage where the wonders of PP take over all sanity....bit rarely to the advantage of the end product

The Offering

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    ultimately you get to the stage where the wonders of PP take over all sanity....bit rarely to the advantage of the end product

The Offering

Oh, my gosh, Steve!!! er, well, I surely like it - like..... a lot!!! but.....er, ....what's up doc?

...like, it's making me emotional!
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 7th August 2011 at 05:27 PM.

Real Name
    Wendy

This is the first version as originally envisaged.

The Offering
    Beautiful. I'm partial to the original because it looks like it could be an actual photo. However, if it's fantasy or symbolism that you are going for the second one works quite nicely. The third is getting a bit confusing and chaotic.

In the second one, there is some kind of banding above the starburst. I have no idea how you processed this so I don't know if that can be changed, but I think I would like it better if it had the same look as what as above it which sort of looks like a lake to me and also makes me wonder what this would look like in misty blue tones. That's just me though because the words that came to mind when I saw this were Lady of the Lake or something to that effect.... or the lady walking into the lake with her offering and never to be seen again. Well that's enough of that, but just thought I'd give you my initial reaction

Wendy

Oh, my gosh, Steve!!! er, well, I surely like it - like..... a lot!!!
    Thanks Katy. I thought you might like this one.

what's up doc?
    Time of the month. I am emotional, irrational and I will kill for chocolate

I'm partial to the original because it looks like it could be an actual photo. However, if it's fantasy or symbolism that you are going for the second one works quite nicely. The third is getting a bit confusing and chaotic.
    Wendy I agree about the first. That was the image that was in my head (of sorts) and as I was switching the lights off last night I saw the statuette in the lamp light...and grabbed the camera.

I hadnt noticed the banding but you are right.

but I think I would like it better if it had the same look as what as above it which sort of looks like a lake to me and also makes me wonder what this would look like in misty blue tones
    I like the way you are thinking Wendy. I just had to try it and yes I think it looks far better

The Offering
    or the lady walking into the lake with her offering and never to be seen again
    exactly...is the offering the flowers or herself?

Real Name
    John

The second one is my favorite.

Real Name
    Wendy

Wendy I agree about the first. That was the image that was in my head (of sorts) and as I was switching the lights off last night I saw the statuette in the lamp light...and grabbed the camera.

I hadn't noticed the banding but you are right.
    Your good eye and active imagination at work again. I thought it was a statue or figurine of some type. This is more obvious in the original than the second version, but I'm not sure it really matters, in fact it probably helps that the lady is a bit unrealistic and stony looking.

As for the banding, it does not bother me because it is banding, but because it detracts from the walking into the lake effect that was in my head. The symbolism in this image could be different to others (i can find different meanings for it myself, for instance the orange and especially the last one bring to mind loss of innocence and/or descent into hell) and in that case the banding does not matter at all.

I like the way you are thinking Wendy. I just had to try it and yes I think it looks far better

The Offering
    For my point of view this is better, now I'm wondering about adding the same effect as #2 so it gives the feeling of being drawn to the light into the lake.

exactly...is the offering the flowers or herself?
    Good point, the offering of course is herself, the reasons and the rest of the scenario is I guess up to the viewer, and many things come to mind no matter the colour or textures used. I really like this shot, it gets the imagination working and takes my mind off normal everyday things, it's like reading a good book but better because I get to write it myself.

Wendy

Real Name
    Brian

Pretty cool image!
    Nice to see what you can do without even leaving the house.
    I'm surprised what the change color does. The first image the color conjures a bit of an evil presence in my mind, while the blue is rather relaxing.
    Good work.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

First of all I came across this .........

The Offering
    and thought, Oh my God, the man is back running on turbo power.

But then, further down the thread, this appeared ......

The Offering
    What do you then say, after the first one left you open-jawed?

Just gorgeous. That's all.
    Last edited by Donald; 7th August 2011 at 08:49 PM.

Well, I'm afraid you're on your own with that one....except for the "kill for chocolate" part - I can always...you know...these days.... Psst! Let's you and I put our heads together....errrr, d'ye know anyone with lots of chocolate??? wink. wink.

and, see...

all of them have a story to tell. Which one can you relate to is really the question.

I like this one because she is peaceful - even in the middle of a fiery trial - headed toward the light.... (We just don't know if it's the dawn or a furnace!)

The Offering

Eesh, Steve, they really, really are super! - each of them, really.
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 8th August 2011 at 12:23 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Well, just pull yourself together. It's something everyone has to go through.

Hi Steve,

I like all of them and I can't pick one. Each image has a very different mood and evokes a totally different feeling, how is that possible? (just a rhetoric question)

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Well, I'm afraid you're on your own with that one....except for the "kill for chocolate" part - I can always...you know...these days.... Psst! Let's you and I put our heads together....errrr, d'ye know anyone with lots of chocolate??? wink. wink.

and, see...
    Darn! did I miss a chocolate thread, or is this just a public reference to a private conversation. Send me a link to the chocolate thing if I missed it.

Wendy

Real Name
    Jim

I can only agree with the others, the first is by far the best - both in its orange and blue versions.

Real Name
    Keith

The original version is lovely, the blue version is just magical

Real Name
    Kay

Thank you for sharing Steve for me as others the first one and then the first one in blue look as if she is about to enter a lake which to me suits the title and the mood you were creating - the light and smoke whilst of course great adaptations, for me, not as moving as the original.
    K

Thank you for the really positive comment everyone, very much appreciated.
    For my point of view this is better, now I'm wondering about adding the same effect as #2 so it gives the feeling of being drawn to the light into the lake.
    Great set of comments Wendy and I think I will try it with a mor positive light source but try to keep it soft and in keeping with the atmosphere.
    Nice to see what you can do without even leaving the house.
    I'm surprised what the change color does. The first image the color conjures a bit of an evil presence in my mind, while the blue is rather relaxing.
    Indeed, I would say 70% of my images are created in and around the home. It is rare that I cannot find something very close by that goes a way to realising the concept in my head. Your comment about colour is interesting. I one had to study industrial ergonomics/aesthetics and part of that study related to the effect of colour on workplace environment. Cool blues and greens have a positive effect on productivity and also on accident rates. Reds, yellows and oranges have a detrimental effect, increasing stress, aggression and accident rate. The blues and greens are undoubtably soothing whilst the reds and oranges stimulate more agressive passionate behaviours. I suppose that is why red lingerie provides more stimulation than say sky blue. Colours in between are less blatant but more covertly suggestive - pinks, deep blues etc. Black and white can be either highly provocative or downright dull depending on their presentation so I expect that is why black and white photography is so versatile.

But then, further down the thread, this appeared ......
    Thanks Donald you are always too kind but we can thank wendy for this variant. She has the magic eye

Psst! Let's you and I put our heads together....errrr, d'ye know anyone with lots of chocolate??? wink. wink.
    Katy, I much appreciate your comments because I know when you do not like something you come right out and tell me. I will let you into a little secret chocolate wise....Hotel Chocolate

I used to get the taster boxes every month....until the kids started nicking it. Its fairly expensive but mmmmm.

Darn! did I miss a chocolate thread, or is this just a public reference to a private conversation. Send me a link to the chocolate thing if I missed it.
    See above. Not sure if they ship to Aus though I have 3 ladies in the house who have decided it is a good laugh to start their menstrual cycle at the same time each month.....chocolate is my only solace and even then I have to hide it and open the wrappers under water in the washing up bowl. If they hear rustling of chocolate wrappers its is a slow painful death for me.

Thanks also to Keith, Giannis, Jim and John for their comments. I would ramble at length but I have to make my butties (sandwiches to the posh) for tomorrows lunch.

Real Name
    Chris

My momma always told me if I didn't have something nice to say, not to say anything at all...and it was probably good advice. And while I should hold my tongue, I have to say either or, are a bit too kitsch-y for my tastes. Mostly, I really like your abstract concoctions, but find these are over the top in a fairy tale way. Each to their own, I suppose, but in my humble opinion, you are so, so much better than either of these two images.

Dump the wayfaring ladies and keep the backdrop for something more scintilating, something more outrageous....morewickedly Steve-ish.

Chris

I thank you for your honesty. I know what you mean but I had to try this one -I had to know what it would look like. It is not edgy or gritty but it sort of captured a mood at the time. To be honest I have had difficulty finding inspiration over the last few weeks so I think this set of images probably reflects a gentle lead in to get me thinking again. There is much to be angry about in the world at present I just need to tap into that...at the moment I feel a little distant and numb to it all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast