Real Name
    Garry Carter

Re: My 1st submission

My 1st submission

Real Name
    Brian

Pretty flowers!
    For me the focus is off in the first pic. Seems dead on the leaves behind the flowers?

Real Name
    Garry Carter

Think I see what you mean. It's great that others see things that the photographer doesn't!
    Thanks

I don't think you could have done anything about that Garry; depending on your aperture.

The left flower is sharp but the right one is a little closer to the camera which makes it fractionally soft. Possibly a different camera angle would have allowed you to get square with both flowers.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Garry,

Welcome to CiC

From a technical perspective, I can see a couple of issues ...

1. The 2nd image is what we term "flat". This occurs when the image doesn't use the full tonal range available; in this case the image doesn't have any true blacks (unlike the first image) - so needs to have the black clipping point raised in post-processing.

2. Both images have focus and/or sharpening issues. For close up photography like this you need to tell the camera which auto-focus point to use, and normally shoot at a fairly narrow aperture (eg F11 or F16), which means you'll probably want to use a tripod because the shutterspeed will be low.

Correct sharpening can compensate (to a degree) for poor focus, so thought I'd give it a go on your image (hope you don't mind). Unfortunately, it was a bit too far gone to work, but as I grossly over-sharpened the image, I did end up with an interesting looking effect that has a little "artistic merit"!

My 1st submission

Just to give you an idea of what I'm meaning, here's a shot I took a year or two ago, that has correct use of tonal range, and correct sharpening ...

My 1st submission
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 5th August 2011 at 09:46 PM.

Real Name
    Garry Carter

Thanks Colin - I do apreciate any and all comments (told you I was new! lol)
    But your pic is a little artistic too.
    To tell the truth, even me being an amateur, I have tried for years to get some good shots - but I was away in the navy for years so didn't spend as much time as I would have liked to - then on leaving the navy (was it really 14 years ago...) the camera world had developed so much I couldn't afford the best equipment, or any of the pro courses, so only relied on my gut instinct.
    Up until about 6 months ago - I was using a Canon 1000F SLR, but it was just gathering dust. Then (6 months ago) I finally could justify buying a 2nd hand Canon 300D (yes I know it's old) but that's why I joined this forum - to learn from guys like you and hopfully, maybe, one day produce a good shot.
    Since getting this 'new' camera - it is so much easier than having to take the shots and wait for processing, but I am still trying to get my head around things like F stops, apature, ISO, etc.
    And again, that is why I joined here - so you guys can point me in the right direction.
    I really do appreciate the comments.
    Thank you - everyone!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Garry,

You're welcome.

I guess that there are many ways to learn photography - but regardless it always seems to come down to shooting - evaluating the results (privately or publically) - seeking "wise council" on areas that need attention - then shooting again; rinse and repeat. That's certainly the path I took, and I suspect many others.

In most cases we can get most people making quantum leaps in their results quite easily - we're always here to help.

So go shoot something, and lets see the results

Real Name
    Garry Carter

Thank you.

Real Name
    Garry Carter

oh - by the way - I just created my first album - I put some pics of my living room fire.

I know that's not really exciting - but I was tring different adjustments with my new DSLR.
    If anyone could look and comment - that would be appresiacte too.
    Thank you.