Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wooden Boat Festival in Olympia Wa.

Real Name
    Jim

Wooden Boat Festival in Olympia Wa.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Wooden Boat Festival in Olympia Wa.

Awesome shots, Jim. For me #3 is the winner among the three. The combination of the lines and the way you composed the shot makes the image really strong in contrast. Good job!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Awesome shots, Jim. For me #3 is the winner among the three. The combination of the lines and the way you composed the shot makes the image really strong in contrast. Good job!
    I'd agree. Another very good image. I like the composition and how you've gone in close to get details (I seem to have been saying that quite a few times this past few days (about landscapes and about wildlife).

Real Name
    Mike

Hi Jim,

The wife and I attended that festival several years back (we're only 130 mi. from Oly.), and enjoyed it thoroughly. It's quite a sight to see the incredible craftsmanship that goes into building a wooden boat (not to mention the ongoing maintenance). The "Tall Ships", if present, are a real treat.

The perspective of the first image gave me the initial impression that those were toy wooden boats, as they almost appear to be elevated above the background.

Is that 2nd boat a vintage Chris Craft? No matter..it's clear that someone is very proud of that one, and the only improvement could have been if they were able to restore the original outboard.

Mike

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Jim, I really love #3. It's not a common sight these days, beautiful!

Real Name
    Chris

My aunt and uncle owned a resort up on the Hood Canal, just up from Union and had a boat just like the one in #2. Theirs was a late 30's early 40's CrisCraft Runabout. I learned to water ski behind that boat.

If you are familiar with that area, it was right next to a place called the "Castle."

Real Name
    Richard

Nice images. Number one looked like a shot of boat models until I notice the people in the background...

Real Name
    Jim

Mike,
    The second boat, was, I believe, a custom runabout, the owner said it was 1930. She added, the Honda outboard was wonderful and they got to use their boat a lot, because of the Honda. The boat was named "Baby Zoomer".

Real Name
    Brian

For me #1 is very good. I like the sharp clarity and composition. Very well done.
    Others have commented that #3 is good, though I find it a little too busy for my tastes.
    I am curious to know which you prefer?

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Nice images. Number one looked like a shot of boat models until I notice the people in the background...
    Funny I thought the same thing earlier and didn't say anything. It is the first image that looks like a model to me. Nonetheless, all are very nice.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Hi Richard, there is a technique, often used for shooting a scene from above, where the center of the image is in sharp focus and objects right beside them are blurred. Because the blur is immediate and not gradual, it gives the appearance of being a model shot up close with extremely narrow DoF. Look, for example, at the water on the right side. Razor sharp right up to the hull of the boat then BAM! the boat behind is heavily blurred. It is an unnatural (for an object of this size) but very intriguing technique.

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Richard, there is a technique, often used for shooting a scene from above, where the center of the image is in sharp focus and objects right beside them are blurred. Because the blur is immediate and not gradual, it gives the appearance of being a model shot up close with extremely narrow DoF. Look, for example, at the water on the right side. Razor sharp right up to the hull of the boat then BAM! the boat behind is heavily blurred. It is an unnatural (for an object of this size) but very intriguing technique.
    Actually, The model look is what I was going for. It took me about 4 hrs to select the boats in photoshop. I zoomed into the individual pixel level and slowly selected. I then inverted the selection and blurred it. I always wondered if someone would pick up on it.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by knobspinner View Post
    Actually, The model look is what I was going for. It took me about 4 hrs to select the boats in photoshop. I zoomed into the individual pixel level and slowly selected. I then inverted the selection and blurred it. I always wondered if someone would pick up on it.
    Excellent Jim, It looks like the model look really grabbed the viewers attention. Well Done!

If you haven't seen it. there is a tutorial available at:

http://recedinghairline.co.uk/tutori...del/index.html