Thread: Nikon D-5000 vs D-7000 lens compatability

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Nikon D-5000 vs D-7000 lens compatability

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I was not thinking of upgrading my camera but my brother has offered to buy my D-5000 off me with 2 lenses for $700. I first got it new for $900 with the same two lenses. I think this offer is great for both of us as he needs a DSL that is in good condition and well i'm not losing that much for selling a used DSLr.

I was thinking of replacing it with the D-7000 as it has some features that the d-5000 is missing namely using my sb-700 as a slave with the D-7000 as the MC... but I am getting away from my question...

To the point. Will I be able to use the lenses I have already purchased with the D-7000?

This is what Adorama says about both cameras.

D-7000

Compatible Lenses
    Type G/D AF NIKKOR: All functions supported
    IX Nikkor lenses cannot be used
    DX AF NIKKOR: All functions possible
    Other AF NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D color matrix metering II
    AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II
    PC Micro-NIKKOR does not support some functions
    Non-CPU: Can be used in modes A and M; color matrix metering and aperture value display if user provides lens data (AI lenses only)

http://www.adorama.com/INKD7000.html#kits

D-5000

Compatible Lenses 1
    AF-S or AF-I: All functions supported.
    Type G or D AF NIKKOR without built-in autofocus motor: All functions except autofocus supported. IX NIKKOR lenses not supported.
    Other AF NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D color matrix metering II. Lenses for F3AF not supported

Compatible Lenses 2
    Type D PC NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and some shooting modes.
    AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D color matrix metering II.
    Non-CPU: Autofocus not supported. Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function. Electronic rangefinder can be used if lens has a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster

http://www.adorama.com/INKD5000R.html

The lenses I care about are:
    Nikon 55 - 300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR II (Vibration Reduction) Autofocus Zoom

Sigma 10mm - 20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM AF

Any input would be appreciated

-Michael

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Nikon D-5000 vs D-7000 lens compatability

Michael,

I can only respond to this due to the amount of research I put into the recent purchase of
    my D90, so please don't think of me as a "qualified" source, 'cause I ain't.

AFAIK, the D5000 requires the AF-S lenses, and according to what I have read those
    will function just fine on the D7000.

Check these links to be sure:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr...patibility.htm

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr...tibility02.htm

Hope that's of some help to you..

Mike

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Thanks Mike! I think that was the info I was looking for! I would assume that the Sigma 10-20 would still work across the board but worse case scenereo would probably have to manually focus .

Real Name
    Kathy

No worries. The D5000 is the one without the focus motor. The D7000 has one, and will autofocus with more lenses than the D5000 would. Whether the lens is AF or AF-S doesn't matter any more with a D7000 in terms of having autofocus function (it might still affect autofocus speed). And they're both crop cameras, so whether it's DX or FX shouldn't matter.

BTW, in Sigma nomenclature HSM is the same as AF-S in Nikonspeak.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by KTHXBAI View Post
    Thanks Mike! I think that was the info I was looking for! I would assume that the Sigma 10-20 would still work across the board but worse case scenereo would probably have to manually focus .
    That's the good thing about Nikon lenses or any other brand name model, compatibility goes across the board unless you have a camera in the case of Nikon without the built in CPU. Most recent models have it so nothing to worry about but if you don't have it you are limited to manual focus with certain lenses.

Real Name
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    No worries. The D5000 is the one without the focus motor. The D7000 has one, and will autofocus with more lenses than the D5000 would. Whether the lens is AF or AF-S doesn't matter any more with a D7000 in terms of having autofocus function (it might still affect autofocus speed). And they're both crop cameras, so whether it's DX or FX shouldn't matter.

BTW, in Sigma nomenclature HSM is the same as AF-S in Nikonspeak.
    Hi Michael, what Kathy Li said is true... You still can use your lenses on D7000 causeD7000 has a built in focusing motor.. That's what I like about D7000, more variety of lenses..

Kathy, I think if you said that HSM is the same with AFS is not quite right... HSM (hyper sonic motor) in Sigma is called SWM (silent wave motor) in Nikon.. This technology makes lenses focusing more faster with less noise (it's what they claimed about it..). But you are right that every AFS lenses are using SWM technology... Well, correct me if I'm wrong....

Real Name
    Peter

Have a look at Ken Rockwell's page on compatibility here. It should make it easier.
    By the way, his D7000 user guide is just out as well at this page..