Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: srilankan culture

Real Name
    ajith jayasinghe

srilankan culture

i captured this image suddenly at 5.40a.m. ,but i am not a pro, i pl give me your feed back.
    srilankan culture
    Last edited by puspa kumara; 3rd August 2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: add the image

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: srilankan culture

Hi Ajith,

I see from the EXIF data it was shot on a Nikon D3100 at 18mm, 3 seconds at f/5.6 and iso 1400.
    I guess it was quite dark then! Were you using a tripod?

It has a certain appeal as it stands, quite artistic actually, I like the basic composition, although that might be improved slightly had you taken a step or two to your right so the boat wasn't so centred.

As it stands here though, I think I would crop off the person just on right hand edge of frame and there's a dark spot in the middle at the bottom that would be best removed by cropping it off.

Have you done any Post Processing (PP) e.g. cloning already?

I ask because there is something with a straight, sharp edge that doesn't look like it was in the scene, to the right of the two foreground people. That could be cloned or blurred out.

Do you shoot RAW? is another question for you.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    ajith jayasinghe

Dear Dave,
    Thank you very much for your feedback & heartiest comments. I have not used a tripod. it is a raw photograph taken on JPEG (FINE). I have not touched it. it is not a boat although it looks like a ship, The crowd is not fishermen, they are all actors. It is a scene belongs to movie based on Sri Lankan History. I could not get closer shots due to director's restrictions. But I was fortunate to capture nice shots. I asked from the director how they would show this ship he said it is done with animation. Once again thank you for your valuable time taken for giving the feedback which I value.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by puspa kumara View Post
    Dear Dave,
    Thank you very much for your feedback & heartiest comments. I have not used a tripod. it is a raw photograph taken on JPEG (FINE). I have not touched it. it is not a boat although it looks like a ship, The crowd is not fishermen, they are all actors. It is a scene belongs to movie based on Sri Lankan History. I could not get closer shots due to director's restrictions. But I was fortunate to capture nice shots. I asked from the director how they would show this ship he said it is done with animation. Once again thank you for your valuable time taken for giving the feedback which I value.
    Hi Ajith,

To clarify; when I say "RAW", I mean a specific file type, which is different from jpg, not 'raw' as in unprocessed. The RAW file from your camera probably has a filename that ends .NEF - e.g. DSC_1234.NEF. You can probably get these as well as jpg. There are post processing advantages to shooting RAW, but it does mean you have to process every image before it can be shown say, here.

A very moody image, well done, were you part of the crew, or just happened to be in the right place at the right time?

Ajith

If this were shot as a faithful capture it would have had little going for it but I love this. Colours and framing is great and it has a mystique and depth to it. Nothing more to say really. Nice work

Real Name
    ajith jayasinghe

I am not a part of the crew,just happened to be in the right place at right time.
    I got the information previous night at around 11.00p.m about the event.i rushed to the place at 3.00a.m. To get the permission from the director. I am the only photographer who captured the event .

Real Name
    Peter

I'm with your Steve. Nice capture indeed.

Real Name
    ajith jayasinghe

Peter,thank you very much your encouragement

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by puspa kumara View Post
    I rushed to the place at 3.00a.m. To get the permission from the director. I am the only photographer who captured the event .
    Good on you for "doing it right"

Real Name
    ajith jayasinghe

I am sorry Dave, i missed your comment. thank you. extremely sorry