Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sun setting in front of us

Sun setting in front of us

Is it a little unbalanced?

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Sun setting in front of us

If the rock silhouette went the full width I would say it was (too much black) but given it falls away on the right and you have given is enough space to do so I would say not - it is ok by me.

There isn't much 'happening' on the left side so I would try a slightly tighter crop on that side and see how it looks.

I'm not really sure, so I suspect this is going to be one of those try first then think later situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    If the rock silhouette went the full width I would say it was (too much black) but given it falls away on the right and you have given is enough space to do so I would say not - it is ok by me.
    Thanks for the feedback Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    There isn't much 'happening' on the left side so I would try a slightly tighter crop on that side and see how it looks.
    I see what you are saying but I can't decide how much is right.

A tighter crop:

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Giannis,

That's better than the first, but it still looks too "centred" to me, I'd crop even more off the left, making the edge pass through where it dips to the lowest point - about 10% in from left (not the lowest point by the sun).

I like it though

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    That's better than the first, but it still looks too "centred" to me, I'd crop even more off the left, making the edge pass through where it dips to the lowest point - about 10% in from left (not the lowest point by the sun).
    I see your point, the structure is pretty clear now. The rock silhouette is much more intense. Thanks Dave.

Real Name
    Peter

I like the expanse of # 1. I feel you can more easliy break the 'rules' in pano crops and they still work but I also like the last re-run, as a more compact tight image. Print both.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    I like the expanse of # 1. I feel you can more easliy break the 'rules' in pano crops and they still work but I also like the last re-run, as a more compact tight image. Print both.
    Thanks Peter, there are so many options!

Real Name
    Brian

I love the color and the silhouette is cool. I would try cropping much tighter though. The large black space is more than I prefer. I don't think that much black adds anything to the image.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

I agree it needs to be tightened up somehow. The biggest issue I see is the lack of detail in the foreground. Not quite sure how to solve that.

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    I love the color and the silhouette is cool. I would try cropping much tighter though. The large black space is more than I prefer. I don't think that much black adds anything to the image.
    Hi Brian,

I've realized that different people see things differently. I would say that I'm satisfied with the last version, but it's always nice to see others reactions to an image. I will try out your sugggestion. Thanks for sharing your view. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by epmi314 View Post
    I agree it needs to be tightened up somehow. The biggest issue I see is the lack of detail in the foreground. Not quite sure how to solve that.
    Hi Scott and thanks for commenting.

By lack of detail you mean the lines of the silhouettes of the rocks and the people or the whole of the black area? If it is the second, I deliberately went for that. I didn't want any detail in the black area but instead the outline of the shapes.

I would think that the only other option to try would be to crop away a small amount from the bottom black area. Maybe just let the sea touch the photo edge in the bottom right corner.

But I suspect that you will not improve upon what you currently have.