Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: French championship horse jumping

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    French championship horse jumping

    For your review

    Thierry

    French championship horse jumping

    French championship horse jumping

    French championship horse jumping

  2. #2
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    Nice, Thierry. Why do the put pads on the backs of the front legs? It looks like the front of the leg might need protection. Just curious.

  3. #3
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,701
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    Another magnificent horse-jumping set, Thierry. Always a pleasure to look at.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Nice, Thierry. Why do the put pads on the backs of the front legs? It looks like the front of the leg might need protection. Just curious.
    Thanks for your message. Sorry but I am nou sure of what you would like to ask me. If it is the small caps on pictures#2 and 3. That's to reduce the noise for some nervous horses and avoid bugs

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Another magnificent horse-jumping set, Thierry. Always a pleasure to look at.
    Thanks Donald

  6. #6
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    Quote Originally Posted by tb72 View Post
    Thanks for your message. Sorry but I am nou sure of what you would like to ask me. If it is the small caps on pictures#2 and 3. That's to reduce the noise for some nervous horses and avoid bugs
    Sorry for not being clear. In all three shots, but let's look at shot # 1, something is strapped to the front legs of the horse. It looks like it is there for protection. I was wondering what it was and why it was there?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Sorry for not being clear. In all three shots, but let's look at shot # 1, something is strapped to the front legs of the horse. It looks like it is there for protection. I was wondering what it was and why it was there?
    sorry, this time i've understood that in case of shock with the fence to orevent injuries

  8. #8
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,788
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    #3, #3, #3.

    I just think No 1 looks a bit odd, and No 2 well. Got the top shop with #3 though.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    #3, #3, #3.

    I just think No 1 looks a bit odd, and No 2 well. Got the top shop with #3 though.
    Thanks for your message steve. Please could you tell me what means odd. Sorry but my english is limited ansd I don't know what it means

  10. #10
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,788
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    The legs at the back, it is a bit hard to explain but they have giant thighs and tiny feet. They are a bit overexposed but the girl is definitely in range.

    I will think #3 is the winner here and #2 close but blown.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    The legs at the back, it is a bit hard to explain but they have giant thighs and tiny feet. They are a bit overexposed but the girl is definitely in range.

    I will think #3 is the winner here and #2 close but blown.
    OK steve I understand this is due to the fact that legs are bent during the jump. Concerning the overexposure sorry but the histpgram does not show any.

    I post an other picture which will clarify your question

    French championship horse jumping

  12. #12
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,788
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    Quote Originally Posted by tb72 View Post
    OK steve I understand this is due to the fact that legs are bent during the jump. Concerning the overexposure sorry but the histpgram does not show any.

    I post an other picture which will clarify your question

    French championship horse jumping
    Well that is #1 now.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Well that is #1 now.
    thanks steve

  14. #14
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,040
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    Hi Thierry,

    My wife asked if you were one of those photographers that just sets up the (remote) cameras on a tripods in front of the jumps? (something she possibly thinks takes less skill, although I'm not so sure)

    I see these were shot at 200, 85 and 50mm, which did have me wondering if you had 3 bodies (all 7D ) for the three fast primes

    My reasoning is that I am "greedy" and trying to cover many of the jumps from one location with a slow zoom, I'll get mediocre images. Instead, I should walk around the ring and get a spot beside just the one jump at a distance that suits the focal length of the fastest prime lenses I have, then I (we all) too might begin to approach these (excellent, as ever) results.

    So, who is correct?

  15. #15
    rpcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    12,427
    Real Name
    Richard

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    Excellent captures...

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Thierry,

    My wife asked if you were one of those photographers that just sets up the (remote) cameras on a tripods in front of the jumps? (something she possibly thinks takes less skill, although I'm not so sure)

    I see these were shot at 200, 85 and 50mm, which did have me wondering if you had 3 bodies (all 7D ) for the three fast primes

    My reasoning is that I am "greedy" and trying to cover many of the jumps from one location with a slow zoom, I'll get mediocre images. Instead, I should walk around the ring and get a spot beside just the one jump at a distance that suits the focal length of the fastest prime lenses I have, then I (we all) too might begin to approach these (excellent, as ever) results.

    So, who is correct?
    Hi Dave,

    Interesting question. This jumping field has quite the size of a football field. I take the time to watch the way that they follow between the different fences. Considering fence structure, trajectory between fences, I chose a position anf Finally I chose my lens. Fixed focal produces better quality pictures as you know. I shoot 5 to 10 competitors and I move to an other fence. I do not use any tripod.

    I hope that I well understood your question and that my answer is clear.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    le Mans France
    Posts
    367
    Real Name
    Thierry

    Re: French championship horse jumping

    Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Excellent captures...

    Thanks Richard

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •