Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Moiré removal before printing.

Real Name
    David Phillips

Moiré removal before printing.

I have a CD of full resolution images from my son`s wedding taken on a 7D by my friend,a pro tog.
    One image which is sharp in the original print and on the CD displays bad moiré patterning on the print preview screen and thence on the print,but not before the preview.

Can anyone suggest a step by step method of moiré removal in CS4 so I can make prints?

edit.I should make clear that moiré only appears on the print preview and then obviously the print.

The original print and CD image viewed on screen are fine.
    Last edited by swanseadave; 31st July 2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: clarity

rob marshall

Re: Moiré removal before printing.

I think this occurs when you have a lot of fine detail that the resolution of the camera can't handle - or is that wrong. Try this out http://unsharp-mask.blogspot.com/200...photoshop.html

Real Name
    David Phillips

Thank you Rob.I`ll try that method when time allows.

I foresee difficulty however since the effect only shows at the print preview stage not when I import it to CS4

I`ve also mentioned it to my friend,a pro who took the picture to see if he can throw light on the issue.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Real Name
    Steve

My prints are higher resolution than my display; so try a sample matt if you haven't already. Matt absorbs more ink and it spreads out a bit causing loss of resolution.

It is however an interesting and hard question; I'm good at asking hard questions that yield useful insights into photography such as Matt cannot capture as much detail or EV span as Glossy, and you have to turn the ink up to get better blacks.

I haven't experience of this problem yet.

Real Name
    David Phillips

I have only Canon and Permajet glossy paper at the moment,but I cannot see how a different IJ paper would make a difference.

The moiré pattern first appears on the on screen preview prior to printing.When I went ahead and printed it the print matched the preview.All other prints done at the same time perfectly matched the screen image and the prints provided by my friend who took them.He`s been a pro tog for 30+ years.

I`m using a Canon MP510,Canon ink,Canon IJ glossy paper,with the appropriate ICC profile.

I`m baffled

edit.I`ll have a go at the method linked by Rob Marshall when time allows if my forseen difficulty allows me to see the defect on screen so it can be worked on.

Real Name
    Steve

Your are right David; I temporarily suffered from loss of thinking.

Real Name
    David Phillips

I`ve just heard from John,my tog friend who took the pix.

Here`s what he says:
    Image 21 was slightly out of focus....rather than delete the shot I used a photoshop effect to hide the sight blur...the effect can only be seen at its best when viewed or printed large which is why at 6x4 it looks a little odd.

I was begining to think my printer was at fault and had looked for driver updates.

Thank you for all input to this thread.

Cheers,Dave