Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Juxtaposition

Juxtaposition

I like this, it was from across the Colosseum, through the arch with a building across the street. The color from that building is found in the bricks of the arch and the old and the new(er) was interesting. Thoughts?

Juxtaposition

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Juxtaposition

Very nice vision, colors, and patterns. I don't believe I've ever seen the Colosseum 'looking out' instead of 'in'! I wouldn't have known what it was without the explanation but I like it, Jack.

Frank,
    Thank you. Yes it is an interesting picture, and like you said, most people take pictures into the Colosseum. This was the best of three pictures, only wish DOF was a bit better, building in background is a bit out of focus.

Real Name
    Richard

I like the contrast of colors and architectural styles. I don't think that the slightly OOF of the background building is anything to worry about. However, it does reflect that digital photography is great because we can shoot multiple variations of any image without breaking the bank. Expense had a definite impact on how many variations of a shot I would shoot with a film camera...

rp,

Thanks as well. I shot film for many years, it was always a thrill to get the film back and see what actually came out. I used to develop B&W and color slides so the wait wasn't as bad but...ya still never knew what you had till you turned out the lights. My Nikon FM2 is collecting dust but I really enjoy the immediacy of digital. But as the saying goes, "It's a poor carpenter who blames his hammer."

rob marshall

Jack

I like this, with the view outwards, rather than in, and the use of one building to frame another. Much more interesting than just a straight building shot. I like the colours too. However, the two distinct areas of background building give us two 'views' side by side. I find this splits the shot and makes it too divisive. You already have great juxtaposition, so there's no need to split the shot as well. I tried a square crop to remove the left-side view. Hope you don't mind. Also added some contrast and sharpening.

Juxtaposition

Rob,

Thanks, and I agree, by cropping it more tightly it highlights the contrast of the two buildings.
    Also I do like the adjustments you made, it makes the photo jump a bit more.
    Thanks for input and the tweeking, I'll go back and see if I can make the same adjustments.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    Rob,

Thanks, and I agree, by cropping it more tightly it highlights the contrast of the two buildings.
    Also I do like the adjustments you made, it makes the photo jump a bit more.
    Thanks for input and the tweeking, I'll go back and see if I can make the same adjustments.
    Hi Jack
    I agree with Rob that splitting a shot can lead to confusion as to what to look at and can end in distraction and loss of impact of the story you are trying to present with your photo. However it is my humble and personal opinion that over cropping can be equally as effective in' killing the desired image. Katy N made a very appropriate comment on this in another post.
    So....just to be a bit over the top but to suggest something else. I slipped across to Rome and organized a few stone mason s and brickies for a quick 'cash in hand under the counter 'job. It was because the crop of LHS seemed to ruin the lines of projecting buttress and unbalanced the shot for me. So the result of my revovations.....

Okay, so maybe way over the top. But just to do a bit of lateral thinking. I now sit back and await the justified postings as to why what I have done is just not on. But that's okay. It is by such controversy that we can learn and hopefully progress.

Juxtaposition

Ken,

LOL thanks! You did what I was considering. I like it!!