Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cleaning the camera

Cleaning the camera

Today i found a very small dot on my Camera Lens, i dont know whether it is a speck of dirt or a mark in my camera lens.. I tried cleaning the lens with a soft cloth but it doesnt seem to vanish... what should i do in this kind of situation..

if the spot is miniscule does it affect my pictures anyway?

It would really be helpful if anyone share the general tips and precautions we need to take while cleaning the camera .. genreally an overview about the Camera Care....

Real Name
    Adrian

Re: Cleaning the camera

I once saw an article - I think it was on Ken Rockwell's web site - that invited you to stick a small piece of water moistened tissue to the front lens element and then look through the viewfinder. And take a picture. The tissue - many times larger than a speck of dust - had no discernible effect on the picture apparently. I am not that curious so I have never tried it

I have also read (can't remember where) that the age old fashion for fitting UV filters to "protect the lens" is redundant in these days of much more durable lens coatings than in the past.

I use a blower brush and a special microfibre cloth for when I get the urge to clean my camera externally. The microfibre does a fine job of cleaning lenses. I expect others will have alternative solutions - perhaps literally.

I would not worry overmuch.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I have also read (can't remember where) that the age old fashion for fitting UV filters to "protect the lens" is redundant in these days of much more durable lens coatings than in the past.
    Adrian
    I was rushing over some uneven ground, and tripped. When the lens impaled itself on a jagged branch, I was certain I would be visiting the used lens store to find a replacement. However, after removing the remaining pieces of the UV filter, the tiny scratch on the glass made no difference to the photo quality. I recommend either a lens hood, or a UV filter when in rough terrrain. (But I do remove the filter when standing still. )

Real Name
    Ian

Where exactly do you suspect this mark to be? So are you noticing it on the finished picture, or through the viewfinder or is it just obviously on the front of the lens?

Is your camera a DSLR that you can change lenses? If so:

It could be on:
    The front lens element/filter
    On the rear lens element
    On the mirror
    On the viewfinder
    Below the prism above the mirror on the screen
    On the sensor
    Or internally in the camera or lens itself

really need to know more about how you are seeing this spot? An eyeglass/loupe might help you see the mark clearly.

However it could also be that if you have cleaned the lens front, take the lens off and see if you can see anything on the rear glass element.
    The mirror often collects bits of debris, and is relatively accessible, look above this and look at the underside of the pentaprism?

All these areas can be cleaned very carefully with microfibre cloth or cotton buds, usually just touching the spec will lift it off. Whatever you do don't 'scrub it' you will do more harm.

If it is on the sensor, be careful. There are a host of solutions out there but a good shop doing it for you will be better.

If it is something within the camera or lens then seek professional help if it is significant.

And in answer to the above post, yes marks will often be out of focus and not visible unless you are creating huge enlargements. Equally your aperture settings will play a part as to how great a depth of field you have created.

I have a compact digital camera (Powershot S5 IS) The dot is on the lens.. if it doesnt affect the picture then i think i better leave it... Thanks all for your suggestions...

I’ve found that dirt on the filter will affect the image under certain conditions.

Depending on the complexity of the scene, you may not realize that the image is being affected unless you happen to take another image with clean optics.

And for goodness sakes don't read Ken Rockwell's site!
    Last edited by McQ; 14th February 2010 at 07:42 AM. Reason: removed broken links

Real Name
    Ian

...Mr Rockwell's site is not always correct despite its popularity and I guess you either love or hate his views with little in between. Certainly thought provoking at times.....