Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Urban Decay

Real Name
    Jeroen

Urban Decay

Last week I visited an abandoned Cole mine in Belgium with some friends. I really like the atmosphere throughout the buildings.

Click the photographs for a large format view.

Urban Decay

Urban Decay

Urban Decay

Urban Decay

Urban Decay

Urban Decay

Urban Decay
    Last edited by JK6065; 29th July 2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Click the photographs for a large format view.

Real Name
    Seri

Re: Urban Decay

Jeroan,

I love that set! 3,5,6 and 7 in particular. You caught the atmosphere perfectly. No.2 also reminded me a little of playing 'Silent Hill' - it's so beautifully creepy

If I listed the things I like about all the images I'd be here for hours. Suffice to say "b****y well done!"

Cheers,

Seri

Real Name
    Pete Bird

A prime example of where Mono suits the photos.

Very nice set.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Very nice shots, Jeroen. You captured the atmosphere perfectly and the B & W just adds to it.

Real Name
    Dave Wilkinson

Hi Jeroen

I d just like to reiterate what the other members have said, what a fantastic set of black & white shots, I would be very proud of them shots.

Dave..

Hi Jeroen, very nice photos.

I feel the decay...

Real Name
    Wendy

Excellent Jeroen, all of them so dark and moody, there is a feeling of sadness about them especially the old book so well kept among the ruin and neglect.

Well done
    Wendy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

My compliments, Jeroen. Excellent control of exposure for light and shade is some very challenging situations.

Real Name
    Keith

I can only add my compliments to those of esteemed colleagues, a lovely series shot under challenging conditions, Excellent work.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

#5 is just plain AWESOME for me, Jeroen. Well done on depicting urban decay with these set of shots.

Real Name
    Raylee

These are great Jeroen! #5 adds the human element. Fantastic set - well done!

R

rob marshall

Jeroen

I simply must break ranks with my colleagues here and express some surprise that you need to supplement your student grant by working as a professional photographer for the Belgian Tourist Board! http://www.belgiumtheplaceto.be/ I can see this catching on in Wales - tourists tripping over the bridge to visit revamped old steel works, coal-mines (we have more than you), and run-down valley towns... no, wait... we already do that!

But to be serious... these are very good BW shots. A lot of atmosphere, and they evoke a good sense of both place, and the industrial purpose they were used for. I particularly like #6.

Try drinking in a cheaper bar, so you don't need to top up your grant with earned income.

Real Name
    Jeroen

Thank you Seri. But I wonder what's Silent Hill? Some kind of game or something?

@ Pete, Mary and Dave. Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you like the BW processing. I always feel like actually removing a part of the image (the colours) can add so much to the image. You get much closer to the essence of the scene.

Rob, This location was already visited by way too many people with more destructive intentions than take only photographs. I would like a nice upgrade for my student grant and I would be happy to earn it with photography although I don't think these locations would be a true eye catcher for the Belgium Tourist Board. So feel free to do your voluntary addition to my humble wallet ;-).