Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Question for the other D7000 owners

Real Name
    Chris

Question for the other D7000 owners

Do any of you know if there is an "in-camera" adjustment tool to fine tune the focus, either front or back. I've sent this bloody camera back to Nikon, three times now and it still isn't as crisp as it should be, especially given the cost of this beast.

Me thinks me and Nikon are about to go to an arbitration hearing since I can't seem to get a new camera from them, or have them fix the one I have and the one I have is a POS. I've sent numerous files to Alamay only to be rejected every time for soft focus.

Personally, if I was a newbie out there really wanting a D7000, I'd give it a lot of thought and really read all the reviews. It kind of reminds me of the Ford Edsel.

Real Name
    Erik

Re: Question for the other D7000 owners

Hi Chris,

I've had my D7000 for a few months and I like it. Course, I am comparing to my first camera, the D40. I am still trying to get use to the focusing of this camera.
    Here is one that I had posted:

Question for the other D7000 owners

How does it compare to your "soft focus"

Erik

Real Name
    Chris

what lens was this shot with focal length and aperture...just so I can do a comparison study.

Real Name
    Pete Bird

The Auto focus is in the menu under the Spanner Icon. Scroll down until it says 'AF fine tune', hit the OK button or the right arrow around the OK button to enter and adjust the settings.

Real Name
    John

Chris - Sorry to hear you are having issues with your D7000. I love mine. I am not sure what focusing mode you are using but try shooting some test shots using single servo spot focusing if you haven't already. When I first got the camera I had some shots not focused as well as I would like but that has gotten under control now that I primarily use AFS spot and focus lock when necessary. The only other focusing issue I had was with a brand new Micro 105mm VR which is now fine after one trip to Nikon.

I hope things improve for you.

John

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    I've sent numerous files to Alamay only to be rejected every time for soft focus.
    Hi Chris,

Probably "off target", but are you applying the correct capture sharpening and content/creative sharpening workflows?

Real Name
    Peter

Do any of you know if there is an "in-camera" adjustment tool to fine tune the focus, either front or back.
    Chris, you can fine tune AF for every lens you have on the D7000, but be aware that the results may vary for zoom lenses at various lengths. Just go to the setup menu and AF fine tune (p 246 of your (English) manual). If you have non-Nikkor lenses the results may vary as well of course. The lenses need to have CPU and preferrably are Nikkors.
    If you do try it test carefully: use a tripod and turn of VR on the lenses to begin with.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Chris,

Probably "off target", but are you applying the correct capture sharpening and content/creative sharpening workflows?
    I think so...but am open to a refresher if not.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I think so...but am open to a refresher if not.
    Hi Chris,

Why not take a RAW shot of something difinitive a diagonal (with centre AF point) and send it to me, and I'll see how it looks from my end.

Real Name
    Amol Sandil

This is a great picture Erik. Would like to see some more.
    Amolsan (fellow d7000nian)