Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 2D Sculpture

2D Sculpture

Hi all,

I can't make my mind up for this one, what do you think?

It is strongly advisable that you view this image from some distance (which means you may have to walk away from the PC. Sorry for the incovenience).

2D Sculpture

Re: 2D Sculpture

I see no replies, so maybe something is not working in this. How do you feel about the composition? I have the feeling that the slight diagonal direction to the waves and the seaweed is a little distracting.

While working with it I was unable to perceive the whole of it while looking at a close distance, and found that it was a lot easier when I sat back giving more distance between me and the image.

Anyway, I have also included the colour version. Maybe it's the B&W that's wrong.

2D Sculpture

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hmm, interesting Giannis.

Quote Originally Posted by manthos
    I see no replies, so maybe something is not working in this. How do you feel about the composition? I have the feeling that the slight diagonal direction to the waves and the seaweed is a little distracting.
    Didn't see the thread before now, but forums are quite busy these days, so some posts slip through despite our best efforts.

For me, the distraction is the white pebble (smooth rock/stone).

Arguably if the line of foam at water's edge had been a little further to right, it would be better, the seaweed doesn't bother me, except perhaps the bit top centre of frame half out of shot.

I do prefer the colour version, except for the inevitable colour shift in the shadow.

Composition is fine.

Hope that helps,

Hi Dave,

What I meant about the direction was not about the line the foam creates but the direction of the wave as a whole, that seems to go down to the right corner. The seaweed seems to exaggerate that.

I am also thinking that this image may have more serious issues that I can't point at. I begin to look it more as a snapshot...
    Last edited by manthos; 30th July 2011 at 03:58 PM.