Debi

traveling.. most pics taken going 30 - 70 miles an hour

either on a two lane road, unable to stop due to traffic behind or on the freeway/interstate
    new to photography in general and know very little about editing.... I not only want to get my camera off auto I also want to learn to edit beyond autofix . any suggetions / comments for editing would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by covimom; 26th July 2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: still learning how to post

Real Name
    Peter

Re: traveling.. most pics taken going 30 - 70 miles an hour

Debi,

Intriguing photos...#4 make me want to explore the place further. It has a sense of place and has the broadest range of shades and colors.

You came to the right site to learn how to get your camera off "Manual". The tutorials are fantastic. I would also recommend www.photojoes.org.

Having full control of the camera will allow you to expose for any interesting skies and clouds as well as the land subject. Most of the time on auto mode the camera gets one right but not the other.

Enjoy the journey.

Peter

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Debi

One of the best ways of learning is to get answers to the specific questions that you have. So, as well as studying the tutorials on here, please do post up questions. Lots of people can and will give general suggestions etc. But their support will be even more valuable if they can direct that at specific issues, topics.

And one of those is the fact that travelling at 30-70 mph is not the ideal method of carefully composing shots!! But you probably knew that already.

In your quest to get the camera off auto, then I'd really urge you to study the tutorial on Understanding Exposure here on CiC. Once you have that knowledge under your belt starting to get into the creative modes with your camera becomes an awful lot easier. But, like I say, don't forget to ask questions.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

And one of those is the fact that traveling at 30-70 mph is not the ideal method of carefully composing shots!! But you probably knew that already.
    Good point, Donald. Not to discourage Debi but to emphasize that it's not enough to simply click the shutter to make a strong image.

Real Name
    Debi

you're right going 30-70mph isn't great but when cars are behind you on a country road and you see a barn coming you can only do your best. not having the time to pull over, turn around and go back or on the freeway either. I guess better to try and catch a shot than let them go by all togeather. # 4 was a quick pull over and shoot through a car window . I will work on asking the questions as I come to understand what to ask and will read as you have suggested
    Thank you for the input. looking forward to learning
    here are a few that were taken on a walking tour and I had time to "get the shot"

for these I'm not sure if I should have cropped even tighter on the wheel and the butterfly or not

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by covimom View Post
    for these I'm not sure if I should have cropped even tighter on the wheel and the butterfly or not
    Mmm? 'No', would be my thought.

On the wheel, I wonder what the difference would have been if you had got down lower? It looks as if you're standing up looking down. If you had got down to the level of the wheel, what difference might that have made to the composition?

In the second, if the purpose was to produce a photo of a butterfly, then yes, it probably needs to fill the whole frame. But, have a look at it from a different viewpoint. Does it need to be a picture of a butterfly that doesn't have the butterfly big enough? Or is it in fact a very nice country garden image that includes a beautiful old fence, flowers and foliage ....... and a butterfly. If you told me it was a picture of a butterfly, I'd say it didn't work. If you told me it was a picture of a garden with a butterfly in it, I'd say it was a very, very nice image. It's all about the vision you have when you press the shutter - What does the final image look like in your head?

Real Name
    Debi

you have a point... it was to be the fence and garden with the butterfly. Taken with a point and shoot cannon sx200, i knew i wouldn't be able to 'catch' the butterfly very well with the camera, your right about the wheel. loved the ivy over it and the fence. your right also from a lower angle would have been a better idea. Since getting my new camera I have been thinking about different angels to take a pic from. appreciate the input

Real Name
    John

Nice multimedia projection on the fourth image.

Real Name
    Debi

sorry, new... what does multimedia projection mean ?

Real Name
    Peter

Shadowman, I see what you mean.

The opening in the back of the barn appears to be a movie projection display of a cornfield, as opposed to just an opening.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by covimom View Post
    sorry, new... what does multimedia projection mean ?
    See the final frame from this link. As Peter says, the opening in the back of the barn makes the cornfield appear to be a projected image. The projector is also good for viewing your nice photos such as yours.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq..._gp1/image.php