Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Can you make USB a Firewire connection?

Real Name
    Russell

Can you make USB a Firewire connection?

Hi, I have a small tablet that only has USB connection and I want to use DSLR REMOTE with my 1ds Mk II is there a way to do so please as the software says you need a firewire port, the only way I think may be possible is to turn the USB into a FW with a cable but will this work?
    Thanks
    Russ

Re: Can you make USB a Firewire connection?

Russell, I do not think you can unless the tablet has a PCI card slot.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Hi, I have a small tablet that only has USB connection and I want to use DSLR REMOTE with my 1ds Mk II is there a way to do so please as the software says you need a firewire port, the only way I think may be possible is to turn the USB into a FW with a cable but will this work?
    Thanks
    Russ
    Hi Russ,

Short answer is "No".

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Russ,

Short answer is "No".
    OK Colin Thanks but to take it a step forward what about a PCMCIA Firewire 3 port IEEE1394 Laptop Expansion Card do you no if this will allow tethered shooting with XP and 1DS Mark II?
    Thanks
    Russ

Real Name

OK Colin Thanks but to take it a step forward what about a PCMCIA Firewire 3 port IEEE1394 Laptop Expansion Card do you no if this will allow tethered shooting with XP and 1DS Mark II?
    Thanks
    Russ
    Hi Russ,

I'm a bit confused ... Even if you get IEEE1394 working on the tablet PC ("FireWire" is just an Apple term), I still don't understand how you'd interface it with the 1Ds2, which is USB 1.0.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Russ,

I'm a bit confused ... Even if you get IEEE1394 working on the tablet PC ("FireWire" is just an Apple term), I still don't understand how you'd interface it with the 1Ds2, which is USB 1.0.
    Hi, As you no you can only connect the 1DS Mark II to computer for tethered shooting via a firewire connection (will not work with USB, Don't no why Canon did this) so i was looking at these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCMCIA-Fir...item45fc3396ee more in hope than anything else
    Cheers
    Russ

Real Name

Hi, As you no you can only connect the 1DS Mark II to computer for tethered shooting via a firewire connection (will not work with USB, Don't no why Canon did this) so i was looking at these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCMCIA-Fir...item45fc3396ee more in hope than anything else
    Cheers
    Russ
    Ah - my mistake. I knew the 1Ds had firewire - and the 1Ds2 had USB - didn't know the 1Ds2 also had the firewire port.

Plan B might be to upgrade to a 1Ds3 - that's what I use, and I shoot tethered all the time via the USB port.