Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Scott Valley Bluegrass Festival

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Scott Valley Bluegrass Festival

It's that time of year again so here's some shots of the Scott Valley Bluegrass Festival held in Etna, CA. It seems I've become the official unofficial photographer for the event, I make my images available to the event promoters and bands and this year they gave me a nice two-column puff piece in the program and gave me a copy of the event poster (which I created for them) signed by all the bands. I apologize for the number of images but I want to give a feel for the entire event. The first shots are of the street jam on the evening before the festival...people come from everywhere with their instruments, kids, dogs and cameras and jam on Main Street in Etna. It's fun and a target rich environment for a photographer...you will have to go to my website to see all the images.

After the "Jammin' on Main" on Friday night, the festival takes place on Saturday and sunday following and I have posted a few shots of some of the bands...these are the shots I use to introduce the band images on my website but it gives you a feel for the event. I am always amazed at the quality of bands they get at this out of the way location.

Shooting the event was made a bit difficult by a thunder storm with a frog-strangling rain, stage lights went out then all but the red lights went out so I had to work around all this. Of course my lens fogged up in the rain but it was all great fun. I hope you enjoy:

First a shot of one of the bands that I use to introduce the festival on my website:

Here's a dobro/banjo couple during the jam before the festival:

Here's some fiddle and guitar jammers:

A bunch of pickers in front of the drugstore:

These youngsters appear pretty serious about their music:

Some pros from one of the bands join in the Jammin' on Main:

Small town America at play:

Now a look at some of the bands on stage - this is a great California band:

Some of the audience couldn't resist dancing in the wings:

I believe this band was from the Seattle, WA area...excellent:

Another excellent California band:

A very traditional and very good band:

The last band I photographed...all bands were great and I've not shown you all:

Chuck

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Scott Valley Bluegrass Festival

I can see you have had a great time Chuck. A great way to enjoy your photography and retain the memories.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thank you Peter....it is hard work and much fun.

Chuck

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Wonderful yet again, Chuck. And, I think, an even better set than in previous years. You've really got in and around the bands on stage and have got some really good ones there. Thanks for putting them up.

Each year is sounds more and a more like a wonderful weekend. In many ways it's the same thing (although slightly different musical genre, but not much) to the Glenfarg Folk Festival that takes place here in our village over a weekend in April. So, I can imagine what a wonderful atmosphere must be in the place.

EDIT
    Sorry, I should've added that whilst I like them all, that one of the fiddler and guitarist jamming is absolutely brilliant. Beautifully composed in that you've got yourself in the perfect position in relation to how the two of them are positioned. Expertly exposed. And something that so wonderfully captures what a good jamming session is all about.

That is my real pick and one, I'd suggest, that needs to be widely seen and used amongst the festival-going community. A beauty.
    Last edited by Donald; 27th July 2011 at 08:32 AM.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thank you Donald for the very kind words. The roots of bluegrass are in Ireland and songs like Sailor's Hornpipe have carried over into bluegrass and the rhythm and some tunes show their Irish roots. Bluegrass is continuing to evolve here and while the traditional music is still prevelant, new innovations are entering and expanding the genre. It would be fun to see your festival and compare. Perhaps you can "shoot it up next time" and share here. I like classical and some folk music but bluegrass is just earthy fun. I used to play guitar in a band but decided I'm better at taking pictures.

Chuck