Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking at the wrong light.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Looking at the wrong light.

They say moths and insects are attracted to artificial lights because they thought it was the moon. They often use the moon as a reference point for night flight. Unfortunately, we introduced artificial light that looks brighter than the moon up close. These moths and insects got stuck inside the lamp that we have outside the house. I got attracted by the way they got stuck to the lamp cover and I took a shot. Thank you very much for viewing.

-----
    Nikon D70, 50mm, ISO 800, f/11 at 1/100 second.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Looking at the wrong light.

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    They say moths and insects are attracted to artificial lights because they thought it was the moon. They often use the moon as a reference point for night flight. Unfortunately, we introduced artificial light that looks brighter than the moon up close. These moths and insects got stuck inside the lamp that we have outside the house. I got attracted by the way they got stuck to the lamp cover and I took a shot. Thank you very much for viewing.

-----
    Nikon D70, 50mm, ISO 800, f/11 at 1/100 second.
    Interesting shot willie, great job spotting that one. Most would have never noticed.

Real Name

Thanks for looking, Steve. I've been looking at this lamp everyday but did not notice it, too. It was only when I rotated the lamp that I saw this arrangement of the moths on the other side. At first I was just looking at it but then a thought came over me. Just like humans, we tend to follow a certain path thinking that it was the "light" that would help us in our life's journey but then later realize that it only made things worse. I think this idea gave me the intent to explore this and finally took the shot.

As for the technical side of the shot, I extended my 50mm f/1.8D lens using a cardboard tube to mimic a macro lens. the end of the lens is about 1 inch away from the surface of the lamp cover and I can't get any exposure reading since the camera body has no way of knowing what is my actual aperture opening. I don't have a problem with the lighting since it was back-lighted. After 3 trial attempts, I got the exposure right at f/11. This shot was uncropped and with only a minor saturation adjustment in Photoshop.

Real Name
    Steve

Adapt and conquer so to speek. I like it. Worked surprisingly well.

Real Name
    Bill S

There are so many esoteric things one could say about this photo... I love the abstract nature of it and the endless story options it implies.

Fantastic, Willie!

- Bill

Real Name

Thank you very much, Bill.

Real Name
    Bill S

I also realized how much this looks like insects in amber. So many possibilities.

- Bill

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    I also realized how much this looks like insects in amber. So many possibilities.

- Bill
    That is also a way to look at it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post

- Bill
    I'm glad you said that, Bill, I thought something similar but couldn't wrap words on it.

Willie, I really like this - it's like some wonderful sketch - I'd say oriental but, actually, it is something that you'd see in stone or tile or...something natural - fabric - around here. I think I'll call it "Vermontal-environmental". (It's a movement and definite way of life, around here.)

btw, Willie, my husband got called out urgently, this morn, and we will try that update, later, when he gets back ( along with some other technical shtuff that should help my comp function more efficiently/effectively). I really think that what you found is 'it' - the solution.

Real Name

Thanks, Katy. I hope you'll get your Mac and Lightroom work seamlessly soon.

Real Name
    Tommy

As for the technical side of the shot, I extended my 50mm f/1.8D lens using a cardboard tube to mimic a macro lens. the end of the lens is about 1 inch away from the surface of the lamp cover and I can't get any exposure reading since the camera body has no way of knowing what is my actual aperture opening. I don't have a problem with the lighting since it was back-lighted. After 3 trial attempts, I got the exposure right at f/11. This shot was uncropped and with only a minor saturation adjustment in Photoshop.
    Very creative! I think you should treat yourself to a dedicated macro lens though at some point. if I come into some money then I'll get ya one

Real Name

Thanks, Tommy. Of course, if I have the money i would definitely buy a 105mm macro lens for myself. I just have to be resourceful for now to catch up with you guys doing some awesome macro shots.

It would make a nice wallpaper and I remember the story of the Moth and the Fire by J. Rizal.

Real Name
    Keith

They do look as though they are trapped in amber don't they. Well spotted Jiro

Keith

Real Name
    Seri

Jiro,

I'll leave comment on your lovely image until I have time later, but I just spotted something that you said.

I've just bought a 100mm and won't be using my beloved Sigma 105 any more. It's in good condition and I'd be honoured if you'd accept it as a gift. Please say 'yes' and send me an address via PM where I can post it to. I don't want it just sitting around going to waste, and I never sell things, so you'd be doing me a favour by putting it to good use

Seri

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterlush View Post
    It would make a nice wallpaper and I remember the story of the Moth and the Fire by J. Rizal.
    Thanks, AL. Yeah, that story by Rizal was really a classic in our culture. Thanks for viewing.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    They do look as though they are trapped in amber don't they. Well spotted Jiro

Keith
    Thanks, Keith. The bulb on the lamp was a small CFL light variety and the lamp cover was foggy white. I changed the white balance of my camera to cloudy to give it some amber effect then saturated the colors a bit more in photoshop. Thanks for viewing.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Seriche View Post
    Jiro,

I'll leave comment on your lovely image until I have time later, but I just spotted something that you said.

I've just bought a 100mm and won't be using my beloved Sigma 105 any more. It's in good condition and I'd be honoured if you'd accept it as a gift. Please say 'yes' and send me an address via PM where I can post it to. I don't want it just sitting around going to waste, and I never sell things, so you'd be doing me a favour by putting it to good use

Seri
    Thank you very much for your offer and generosity. However, my camera is Nikon and you are using a Canon system. I am not sure if that is possible to use. If not, I would be honored if you then channel this gift to a more worthier CiC member who has a Canon system so it will work perfectly. You are one unique individual (I am speaking in a good way ) offering a gift to a total stranger. I feel privileged to accept it if it would work for me. Cheers.

Real Name
    Seri

Thank you very much for your offer and generosity. However, my camera is Nikon and you are using a Canon system. I am not sure if that is possible to use. If not, I would be honored if you then channel this gift to a more worthier CiC member who has a Canon system so it will work perfectly. You are one unique individual (I am speaking in a good way ) offering a gift to a total stranger. I feel privileged to accept it if it would work for me. Cheers.
    Hi Jiro,

I'm so distracted with my focusing screen problem that I neglected to notice that you use Nikon. If you find that a canon-fit 105 can be converted to fit your camera, that will be great, but if not I'd be happy to offer it to any CiC member who would enjoy using this lens

Cheers,

Seri

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Seriche View Post
    Hi Jiro,

I'm so distracted with my focusing screen problem that I neglected to notice that you use Nikon. If you find that a canon-fit 105 can be converted to fit your camera, that will be great, but if not I'd be happy to offer it to any CiC member who would enjoy using this lens

Cheers,

Seri
    You are a very kind person, my lady. i think it would be of greater benefit if you will channel this wonderful kindness to a fellow Canon user here at CiC. I'm pretty sure they'd be delighted to accept it with both hands and feet. Just kidding.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast