Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nature's rule

Nature's rule

oon saturday evening, I saw a beautiful flowers' pot, so I have taken my camera and my new macro lens in order to capture something of interesting...
    just after a few dozens of seconds I had found what I was looking for:
    a "beautiful" crab spider!

here a picture of him, captured at f/2.8 (without using tripod! ):
    Nature's rule

the following morning, just waked up, I thought to go to make a visit to my little friend

and look what I found!

Nature's rule

at first sight, I saw a fly and I was quite disappointed ...
    but looking better I finally saw what was beneath!

Nature's rule

many thanks for viewing!
    any kind of C&C are welcomed!

cheers
    nicola

Re: Nature's rule

I think I'm in shock!

However, this is pretty impressive shooting! It's so clear! Maybe someone will come along with an opinion about it needing more dof but I think that they're just wonderful.

What new lens did you get? - do tell!

Real Name
    Bill S

Nicola,

How did you do the lighting on these? Stuff seems to have a neon glow to it... Honestly, I don't really like it, and it hurts my eyes!

However, the subject matter is fantastic! I don't mind the DoF in #1 and #3, but felt it was a bit too shallow in #2.

Nice work.

- Bill

Thanks Katy!
    I'm very proud to recieve your appreciation!
    yes, know that someone could desagree with my choice of dof, but I wasn't trying to do a picture for a natural science press, I was trying to emphasize the details that are strictly linked to the subjects I had in mind: embushing and deadly attack above all- I think that the Dof works quite well for this purpose, as focusing on the eyes of a crying man leads the observer to point his attention to the subject feeling.. isn't it?
    the only one I don't like so much is the nr2, it was a "test shot" but the one that followed (with greater dof) is quite blurred due to hand shake...
    many thanks again

oh! my new lens is canon ef 100 macro USm (non -L)

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Nicola,

How did you do the lighting on these? Stuff seems to have a neon glow to it... Honestly, I don't really like it, and it hurts my eyes!

However, the subject matter is fantastic! I don't mind the DoF in #1 and #3, but felt it was a bit too shallow in #2.

Nice work.

- Bill
    thanks Bill for your sincere comment!
    the lighting was natural light + buit-in flash with -1 fec. The colours are quite natural. the flower has a quite saturated colour (as always) and the spider was so white, so clear that it really seems a neon, it seemed the light was passing through him
    In PP I trimmed only the noise reduction and sharpening, both on ACR and on photoshop
    perhaps I have to change a bit WB, since I haven't touched that control yet for these shot
    thanks so much!
    cheers

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    thanks Bill for your sincere comment!
    the lighting was natural light + buit-in flash with -1 fec. The colours are quite natural. the flower has a quite saturated colour (as always) and the spider was so white, so clear that it really seems a neon, it seemed the light was passing through him
    In PP I trimmed only the noise reduction and sharpening, both on ACR and on photoshop
    perhaps I have to change a bit WB, since I haven't touched that control yet for these shot
    thanks so much!
    cheers
    Nicola,

Yeah - it must be the flash bouncing off the flower petals and reflecting back through other petals and through the spider's semi-transparent body. Very interesting effect.

- Bill

Nicola, it sounds like you are going to have an awful lot of fun with that lens - you're off to a brilliant start!

...and, you did tell your story very clearly and with lots of emotion with your photos. (I'm of your understanding, when I approach bugs!)