Thread: What lenses would you recommend

What lenses would you recommend

hi everyone im new to this, i have recently brought a nikon d80, and im looking at the pictures on here and thinking wow what would i need to take pictures like this, as you probley guessed by this post that im a complete noob when it comes to taking pictures and what equipment i need, any help would be great thanks

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: What lenses would you recommend

Damien

One thing I would recommend is that you go to the 'Discussion Categories' tab on the menu bar at the top and then click on lenses. All the discussions that you'll then get listed will help you with this as well.

The first thing you need to answer is - What do I want to shoot?

Did you get a kit lens with the D80? If so, which one is it?

If you are looking for a second lens to add to a kit lens, which I think will be a zoom lens covering the 'middle ground' in focal length, your question is one of 'Do I want my next lens to be more wide angle than I've already got, or do I want it to be a longer telephoto?'

Once you've answered that question, then you can start doing more research into the specific lenses in that category.

The other thing you should do, now, is set your budget. And stick to it. It's very easy to get carried away and ending up buying something that you never intended to buy and which you can't afford. Setting your budget now will also help you when it comes to looking at what lenses you might realistically want to look at in more detail as you make up your short-list.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Just another thought, Damien.

You said you look at images on here and think, "wow what would i need to take pictures like this"

The answer to that question is not a new lens, although that will open up more options for you. The real answer, in my view, is:

• Practice, practice and more practice
    • Developing your own vision and goal as to what you want to achieve and what images you want to make
    • Studying and learning from sites like this, books and other resources
    • Looking at images from other people and analysing them to see what works and what doesn't

So, don't rush out to spend more money on a lens until you know that you understand and make the lens you've already got work to its best ability for you.
    Last edited by Donald; 28th February 2012 at 08:33 AM.

thanks donald that has helped, as i said im new to this photography ive had cameras but thought auto was the best option, im currently having lesson about photography and all the diffrent setting ect and my head is like a whirl wind at the moment, i have to lenses nothing specil i might add one is a 28 80 and the other is a 70 200 i think both cheap lenses as i didnt want to spend big just in case i didnt get on with it, but looking at this site has made me more passionate about it, looking at some of the pictures on here, Just another what is the best way to put up images in here as the ones i have are way to big and keeps failing,

thanks

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by damien View Post
    Just another what is the best way to put up images in here as the ones i have are way to big and keeps failing,
    Damien

What you need to do is re-size your images down to a size that will be okay to post up on here.

What software are you using to process your photographs?

The other part of posting images is to read the help thread that was created. Click here to get to that thread. On it you will find, for example that under the TinyPics section, it tells you that the maximum size for posting an image is 1600 pixels.

If you are not re-sizing your photographs, they could be something like 4,000 or 5,000 pixels long. So we have to reduce the pixel count so that the file size comes down.

Again, if you have any questions after reading the help thread, please do come back.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Daimen, I think you'd be surprised to find that a number of images posted here, including some competition winners, are taken with a basic Point 'n Shoot camera. There are many benefits to having really great equipment, but in the end, it is the proper use of the equipment you have available to you and the skill you have developed in using it, that provides the greatest benefit.

hi frank, thanks for the info all taken on board, id like to upload some photos but there to big what is a good size to resize

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by damien View Post
    hi frank, thanks for the info all taken on board, id like to upload some photos but there to big what is a good size to resize
    Damien, take a look at HELP THREAD: How can I post images here? for the complete answer to that question as well as other posting recommendations.