Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon D3000 and compatable lens question

Real Name
    Carrie

Nikon D3000 and compatable lens question

Hello everyone,

I'm a beginner and was wondering if a Nikon Nikkor 70-300mm F4-F5.6G AF lens would be compatable with my Nikon D3000 camera. I'll be leaving for my honeymoon in Alaska in a few weeks and found this lens for sale. I was really hoping to aquire a lens that would capture the landscape from our cruise ship. Any thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much!!!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Nikon D3000 and compatable lens question

Hi Carrie, If it is one of the AF series, and not the AF-S, then it should work except for the Auto-Focus. Take a look at Ken Rockwell's Lens Compatibility Chart at http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm.

He also has a review of this lens at http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300af.htm.

Real Name
    Ron

You could also check Nikon official sites eg http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/list.htm#zoom

I have a D3000 and G AF-S lenses are the ones that auto focus.This camera is designed to work with AF-S lenses for auto focus but if it is an AF lens (which you indicate) then it will be manual focus only. I would be wary of purchasing a manual focus only lens ... it is not so quick and easy to use. I made that mistake

Enjoy your honeymoon

Real Name
    Steve

I would strongly suggest that you get the VR version of the 70-300mm.
    It is pricier, but the lack of VR will frustrate you at the long end of that zoom.

The lens I refer to is the AF-S 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 G

If you must get the non VR, be certain to hug a tripod with it.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Carrie,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me, good to have another Nikon shooter along.

All the above advice is good.

Not necessarily relating to this lens, but also be aware that metering may not work either with older (non-chipped) lenses on your camera (or mine). The Nikon site is the best for the last word on compatibility (there being so many similar name lenses), but the tables and notes take a bit of getting used to.

I have the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm VR G lens - it is good and is on my camera 80% of the time (I shoot wildlife mainly), the only thing I'd say is it performs with improved contrast and sharpness (at 300mm) between f/8 and f/16 than it does wide open.

Cheers,