Thread: Is this valid?

Is this valid?

The dof is so shallow.

Is this valid?

C&C, please, if you would.

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Is this valid?

If you squint, it looks like a garden gnome. Ok - the workday is getting a little long... time to go home soon!

- Bill

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Don't think it works. Sorry. I mean, that is narrow!

Real Name
    Bill S

I think I have to agree with Donald. I think the super-shallow DoF just leaves me wanting to see more.

It is a really cool bee, and I think it is an interesting subject itself, but the blur surrounding it is just a bit overwhelming. I think the bee and the curling OOF flower head fight for my attention.

- Bill

Alright! I need to get out earlier than dusk. I'm, also, wondering about that red flower smudge.

Well! That answers that!

If you squint, it looks like a garden gnome. Ok - the workday is getting a little long... time to go home soon!

- Bill
    Oh! and, just.... you poor guy!

Real Name
    Kay

I do like the concept though, it is just sort of isn't thhe bee or is it the end of the flower that is the focus, maybe form another angle? But I agree with Bill that gnome hat is really cool we look forward to where you go from here

Thanks, Kay! I need to get serious about figuring out a few more skills with my camera - i.e. things that are moving! I'm restless because my iphoto library has disappeared (don't ask... Tom can fix it if I can ever get him to come inside) Then, I changed my settings to RAW in my camera but LR isn't taking them in. I'm stuck with just a few pics to work with. GAAAA!

I think that this shot was just a quiet cry of desperation! I need to be a little energetic and just get it right.

Why, look! Right now! It's breezy (and wicked hot) but the light is bizarre and diffused and not too dim - I could go out, now.... er, after I finish my grocery list.

Before you ditch this photo, Katy, have a go at a substantial crop which just leaves the bee and bottom of the flower.

Saint Marie De Kent, New Brunswick, Canada
    Real Name
    Chris Martin

Guess i am playing devils advocate because i like it ! The only thing i would change is rotate it 180 so the bee is on top and not upside down....but i like it call me fickle ...............

Real Name
    Raylee

I love the colours Katy. Definitely worth going back to this spot again.

R

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Love the colours of the flower. But are bees up your way really that colour? No matter, it is a shot with heaps of potential. And I like it. The 'business end ' is nicely sharp and crisp. I agree with Geoff. Keep the main end of flower and bee; and lose a fair hunk of the out of focus 'horn of plenty' As for orientation? Not an issue for me. Watching bees at our place more often than not they are hanging upside down as they go about their lives. Reckon it must be something in the nectar!

Oh, the bee is such a busy soul,
    it has no time for birth control.
    That's why there are in times like these
    so many goddam 'sons of B's!'

And on that little note I guess I had better leave; before I get flung out like the proverbial gypsy's dog! .... yet again!

Thank you, all! I'm encouraged and constructively commented and will try again.

Ken! har.har.

Actually, there are all sorts of bees - even the plain ol' black and yellow honey ones. The sad thing is, the bees have been disappearing for several years, now. It's a scary thing.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Yep, the bee population is being devastated here as well. And nobody is quite sure as to the precise reason.

But they are another fascinating subject.

The area of ground in front of our house was gifted to the community by the previous owner and a group of us maintain it as a community asset. It's a wildflower/grassland bit of open ground. Anyway, we had an open day and a guy from the Bee Preservation Society (yes, there is) came along. He advised that there are 7 different species of 'bumble bee' (as opposed to honey bees) in our area and in our little Glenfarg Green he was able to see 6 of them. And, indeed, they are very different from each other.

Wonderful what you can learn by keeping your mind open to hearing about new things.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Thank you, all! I'm encouraged and constructively commented and will try again.

The sad thing is, the bees have been disappearing for several years, now. It's a scary thing.
    Well now Katy N, never fear. These little chaps are not disappearing. They are in fact relocating to Oz. See photos with this taken at our place 2 days ago.. They tell me their shift is do with the Oz dollar being now worth more than the US dollar. Something about being able to get a better price for their honey.
    old ucci

Is this valid?

Is this valid?

Well, that explains everything!

What great shots, Mr. K! I particularly like the second one. But, tell me, how did you convince them to pose on the thirds, in the first one, like that?

P.S. Welcome home to Glenise! I hope that she had a lovely, lovely time.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Well, that explains everything!

What great shots, Mr. K! I particularly like the second one. But, tell me, how did you convince them to pose on the thirds, in the first one, like that?

P.S. Welcome home to Glenise! I hope that she had a lovely, lovely time.
    Glenise says 'G'Day " And to tell you she had a fabo trip but is pleased to be home.
    Thank you for being so nice about my B picture. And as for your third's question. It is a rather complex process involving heaps of long and involved mathematical transpositions which are best described as " Beginner's Luck."
    Last edited by ucci; 24th July 2011 at 03:02 AM.