Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Boston Common

  1. #1
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    Boston Common

    Too much bird dropping to clone!

    Boston Common

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    11,359

    Re: Boston Common

    To some extent I think the guano draws the eyes towards the photo centre.

  3. #3

    Re: Boston Common

    This image might stand some cropping. Cut through the .... as it were

  4. #4
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    Re: Boston Common

    Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    This image might stand some cropping. Cut through the .... as it were
    I agree, why didn't I think of it myself?

    Hopefully the stimulus package will give enough to the City to clean them up.
    I did not use flash and was mainly trying to see if I can get the exposure right in that shady area with sunshine all around it. I thought it is not too dark...

    How do you like this one:

    Boston Common
    Last edited by Alis; 14th March 2009 at 09:15 PM.

  5. #5
    crisscross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Herefordshire UK
    Posts
    816
    Real Name
    Chris

    Re: Boston Common

    I think the new crop is too tight; just crop at the top of the right hand shell and leave the LH edge as it was with the foot sticking out sideways..and the er curve above it?

  6. #6
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    Re: Boston Common

    Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    I think the new crop is too tight; just crop at the top of the right hand shell and leave the LH edge as it was with the foot sticking out sideways..and the er curve above it?
    Agree. The reason I did it that way was that I usually do not change aspect ration for prints. But for the web, I should have not restrict myself!

    Boston Common

  7. #7
    Bm7b5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    88
    Real Name
    Richard

    Re: Boston Common

    Personally, I prefer the crop in post# 4.

  8. #8
    CNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    USA - California
    Posts
    731
    Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

    Re: Boston Common

    Nice picture, with or without the bird crop.

    Chuck

  9. #9
    David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire and Dumfries & Galloway
    Posts
    732
    Real Name
    David

    Re: Boston Common

    Hi Sedali - I'm not so worried about cropping or the bird droppings. My first thought was nice exposure; I've tried statue shots like this and always under expose. My second thought was what about B/W? That might be worth 15 minutes exploration, either as is, or with digital filters, or as a duo-chrome. Anyway, nice shot.

    Cheers

    David

  10. #10
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,067
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Boston Common

    Sedali,

    I agree with David,
    The exposure was what I first noticed, when I try this kind of shot it ends in a train wreck!

    I'm not sure about monochrome per se, the bronze colour is part of the appeal to me, perhaps just the background in mono (is that what duo-chrome means?). If you have a bit more content to left and right from the original that you had previously croped off because of distracting colours (e.g. lady in blue coat on right in post #6), you might be able to get all in a wider width (and statues feet), if monochrome bg.

    Cheers,

  11. #11
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    Re: Boston Common

    Thanks, Dave and David.

    I tried the B&W, as I have been doing a lot recently , and personally did not like it, as it looked too flat to me.

    Duo-chromatic, not sure what it is exactly!

  12. #12
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,067
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Boston Common

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    when I try this kind of shot it ends in a train wreck!
    I tried again yesterday, inspired by this shot, but I have discovered I can still "derail" with ease!

    Exposure was sort of OK, and I did bracket to be sure, but a dark green statue against green conifer trees was too much for the auto-focus to cope with, so I had sharp trees and blurry statue. If only I'd spotted that while I was there, doh!

  13. #13
    David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire and Dumfries & Galloway
    Posts
    732
    Real Name
    David

    Re: Boston Common

    Hi Sedali and All - I seem to have invented a new term "duochrome". .What I meant was instead of simple B/W use a dual tone, eg in this case bronze and white, to create your effect. I think that's what Dave H above is suggesting.

    Cheers

    David

  14. #14
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    Re: Boston Common

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I tried again yesterday, inspired by this shot, but I have discovered I can still "derail" with ease!

    Exposure was sort of OK, and I did bracket to be sure, but a dark green statue against green conifer trees was too much for the auto-focus to cope with, so I had sharp trees and blurry statue. If only I'd spotted that while I was there, doh!
    It is possible that for this one, the exposure is better because the it was a really sunny day and the white cement around the statue acted as a large reflector.

  15. #15
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    Re: Boston Common

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hi Sedali and All - I seem to have invented a new term "duochrome". .What I meant was instead of simple B/W use a dual tone, eg in this case bronze and white, to create your effect. I think that's what Dave H above is suggesting.

    Cheers

    David
    I see now. Thanks.

  16. #16
    atvinnys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Raleigh (NC/US), Paris
    Posts
    183

    Re: Boston Common

    I would crop #6 a little tighter above the heads...that will minimize the disctractions from the bright background.

    nice pic!

    Vincent

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •