Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cliffs of Dover

Real Name
    Jeroen

Cliffs of Dover

On my way back from circuit Silverstone I hade some time of waiting to board the ferry. Although I didn't have a tripod with me I wanted to do a long exposure shot from the white cliffs. The little wall next to the sea, accompanied by a flash gun and a camera strap, acted as a tripod. The image came out sharp enough but it was very hard to work with the composition with barely freedom to position the camera.

Anyway, what do you think of the shot itself?

Cliffs of Dover

60 s
    f/13.0
    ISO 100
    34mm

Real Name
    Seri

Re: Cliffs of Dover

Beautiful! I love the contrast of textures. Maybe a little less sea? But others with more experience can judge that better.

Well done for improvising and getting the shot without a tripod

Seri

Real Name
    Chris

Is that 60 seconds or 1/60th...if 1/60th, I wonder why there is so much movement in the water...then, I wonder why there is so much movement in the water but not really as much in the sky, especially down by the horizon - seaside...I am in a wonderous mood today.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The sea and the sky are wonderful. Very impressive, Jeroen.

Real Name
    Jeroen

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    Is that 60 seconds or 1/60th...if 1/60th, I wonder why there is so much movement in the water...then, I wonder why there is so much movement in the water but not really as much in the sky, especially down by the horizon - seaside...I am in a wonderous mood today.
    It was 60s. The sea was quite rough and the sky was a bit dull and gray. The 60s was not enough to completely smooth out the water, but by using a slower shutter speed I would loose even more contrast in the sky because it tends more to a neutral gray when there isn't that much contrast in the sky at the first place. To compare here is the reference shot without the 10 stops ND filter: 1/60s

Cliffs of Dover

Thank you Seri and Donald.

Real Name
    John Wright

That's amazing- 60 secs. from a boat in that choppy water. I do prefer the B&W. btw... very moody.

Real Name
    Jeroen

Thank you John. But note that it wasn't shot from the ferry itself (maybe I wasn't clear enough :-)) because than there wasn't a chance at all to get a sharp image.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

I would agree with Seri, Jeroen. A little crop on the bottom would probably make the shot "better". Nice conversion btw.

Real Name
    John Wright

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    Thank you John. But note that it wasn't shot from the ferry itself (maybe I wasn't clear enough :-)) because than there wasn't a chance at all to get a sharp image.
    No, it's not you Jeroen, it's me, it's quite clear you were on the quayside. Too often I come on here with little time,rush and don't read things properly - I see now. Same happened the other day.