Thread: Dust On My Viewfinder

Real Name
    Abner

Dust On My Viewfinder

Hello all, I need help on how to remove dust specks on my D80 viewfinder. I tried blowing it with the "rocket blower" but the dust specks are still there. My pictures are clean so I guess the sensor is clean, plus I just cleaned the sensor with Eclipse Type 2 sensor swab. Any ideas on how to remove those annoying dirt?

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Dust On My Viewfinder

On my Nikon D70 i use my Bausch and Lomb lens cloth and rub it on my viewfinder. After that I blow it using an ordinary blower. Works for me beautifully even if my camera has been exposed a lot to dusty locations.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Are you sure it's on the viewfinder and not the mirror?

I've got my 40D in being cleaned at the moment after having been lying around in the dust and grit of the vineyards of Beaujolais (that's both me and the camera!).

Real Name
    Kathy

Could also be the focus screen (in the "ceiling" of the camera chamber). Try blasting that with the rocketblower. But do not touch it. Those things scratch very very easily.

Real Name
    Abner

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    On my Nikon D70 i use my Bausch and Lomb lens cloth and rub it on my viewfinder. After that I blow it using an ordinary blower. Works for me beautifully even if my camera has been exposed a lot to dusty locations.
    willie, by viewfinder, you mean the top "glass" you see when you remove the lens?

Real Name
    Abner

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Are you sure it's on the viewfinder and not the mirror?

I've got my 40D in being cleaned at the moment after having been lying around in the dust and grit of the vineyards of Beaujolais (that's both me and the camera!).
    i'm pretty sure its on the viewfinder because if i remove the lens, the mirror (reflective glass at the bottom) is clean. thanks for the reply donald

Real Name
    Abner

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Could also be the focus screen (in the "ceiling" of the camera chamber). Try blasting that with the rocketblower. But do not touch it. Those things scratch very very easily.
    this could be the "viewfinder" i was asking jiro, probably the specks of dust i see are coming from there, i tried blowing air on it but the dust is still on the camera's viewfinder when i tried using the camera. is it safe to clean it with a swab? what do you think kathy?

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Technically, when you say the viewfinder, it's actually that small piece of glass where you take a look to see the object and it is outside not inside the camera. If it is the one inside the camera ceiling covering the pentaprism as described by Kathy then she is right. Don't touch it nor use anything that has alcohol in it. You will surely destroy one in no time. Best way still is to use a good dust blower.

Here is a good link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiyfkrPXiPs The problem is, I think the focusing screen on the D80 is not accessible to be cleaned outside.

Here is another link but on a Nikon D70. Still, a risky procedure to take: http://deanmalandris.com/D70_technic...sing%20screen/

If your camera is really in dire need of a good cleaning, better send it to a Nikon Service Center so you don't forfeit your camera's warranty.
    Last edited by jiro; 19th July 2011 at 11:28 PM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Amhornedomd View Post
    ... is it safe to clean it with a swab? what do you think kathy?
    Absolutely not. Tried that on my Rebel XT. Got scratches. It's a matte plastic surface.

Easiest thing is blast it with a bulb blower, while holding the camera with the mount opening face-down, and giving the dust time to settle outside of the body.

If you want to live dangerously, I suppose you could try removing it, and blowing it off, but given that spring-loaded clip that's holding it in place, I think getting it in and out without scratching it would be something of a miracle.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Abner, I think if it were my camera and tried everything that is reasonable without success, I would take to a reputable camera shop for their opinion. It might need professional service, then again, it might be something that they could address right on the spot.

Real Name
    Abner

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Abner, I think if it were my camera and tried everything that is reasonable without success, I would take to a reputable camera shop for their opinion. It might need professional service, then again, it might be something that they could address right on the spot.
    i better heed your advice, i don't want to trash my old & dependable D80.

Real Name
    Abner

thanks for the link, jiro but i rather not do this myself, i'll just bring it to a nikon service center.