Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skim Boarding

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Skim Boarding

Since my camera apparently can't leave it's bag I've been playing around with some older photos... it's a start, right?

The dude on the skimboard is my 18 yr old, Tye. I have no clue who the dude on the paddle surfboard is or why he is at my beach.

copyresize.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Skim Boarding

Yo Dude! (Err Dudess).

I really like this photo. Some might argue that the dude in the background could be cloned out but I like hime there. I also like the toned down sepia effect and the vignetting. I tried skateboarding about 25 years ago.... once!

Cheers
    Mark

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Markvetnz View Post
    Yo Dude! (Err Dudess).

I really like this photo. Some might argue that the dude in the background could be cloned out but I like hime there. I also like the toned down sepia effect and the vignetting. I tried skateboarding about 25 years ago.... once!

Cheers

Mark
    Thank you, Mark.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 13th July 2011 at 08:33 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

1. That's beautifully exposed
    2. Superbly finished, in terms of PP.

As you know, I'm going through my square phase at the moment. I can see the thinking behind the large area of foreshore in front of aforementioned dude, but .....................

Like Mark, I think that figure in the background is an integral part of the image. It gives it its uniqueness. Now ...... if you were to make a 1:1 (square) image using the existing right, top and bottom edges, would you agree with me that you would end up with an ever more powerful image and one in which that figure took on a even more interesting role?

Just a thought.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    1. That's beautifully exposed
    2. Superbly finished, in terms of PP.

As you know, I'm going through my square phase at the moment. I can see the thinking behind the large area of foreshore in front of aforementioned dude, but .....................

Like Mark, I think that figure in the background is an integral part of the image. It gives it its uniqueness. Now ...... if you were to make a 1:1 (square) image using the existing right, top and bottom edges, would you agree with me that you would end up with an ever more powerful image and one in which that figure took on a even more interesting role?

Just a thought.
    When I was working on it the thought came to my mind that Donald might suggest a square crop. I'm sure you are correct... as usual. I'll rework it... after more coffee... and probably after I go sweat my arse off (well, try to anyway) on my 7 or so mile walk. The sweating part will be easy since it's already 85F with a heat index of 95F. What does this have to do with the image? Nothing. After two and a half weeks of being home alone Lucy's getting tired of hearing my voice (she is still on the bed snoozing... most likely faking it so I don't bug her) so I chat here.

Real Name

Okay... I haven't had enough coffee... or sweated my arse off... but here is a reworked version.

dsc_0005copy3resize.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

What do you think about the re-worked version?

Hope you don't mind.

Keep the crop, move the back ground Dude.

Skim Boarding

Real Name

What do you think about the re-worked version?
    I'm not sure. I like how on the first one, the left side edges are a bit darker. I tried to darken just that side, but couldn't get it quite the way I see it in my head... I'll work on it later... maybe.

Hmmmm... after looking at them both some more... the right side on the cropped version is a bit darker than the uncropped. I wonder if I missed a step or... I'll have to open up the psd and compare.

It is a stronger image and brings much more emphasis to Tye and also brings the paddle surfer more into the story.

What do you think?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Okay... I haven't had enough coffee... or sweated my arse off... but here is a reworked version.

dsc_0005copy3resize.jpg
    Hi Mary... or Lucy..., That crop really brings attention to the skimborder action! I like it. The brightness shift from left to right is unusual but it doesn't seem to negatively affect the result, just to make me wonder and examine the shot more closely. Well done!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

What do you think?
    Personally, I really like the square version. I think it gives the image a lot more energy and, as I thought, mystery in the shape of that figure in the background. It does cut down on teh 'open space' feeling and if that was the main message of the image (which I could see that it might be), then the square crop doesn't work. That question takes us back to the issue of what was our vision for the final image at the time we pressed the shutter.

My first reaction on seeing the cropped version was - Oh oh! She's left the vignette on the right hand side but not added it on the 'new' left hand side. But ........ I think that works. Because, if you had re-done the vignette then the mysterious figure would have been caught up in it and that wouldn't have had, what I see as, the desired effect. That figure fulfils the job on the left-hand side that the vignette fulfils on the rigth-hand side ... I think!

Real Name

Personally, I really like the square version. I think it gives the image a lot more energy and, as I thought, mystery in the shape of that figure in the background. It does cut down on teh 'open space' feeling and if that was the main message of the image (which I could see that it might be), then the square crop doesn't work. That question takes us back to the issue of what was our vision for the final image at the time we pressed the shutter.

My first reaction on seeing the cropped version was - Oh oh! She's left the vignette on the right hand side but not added it on the 'new' left hand side. But ........ I think that works. Because, if you had re-done the vignette then the mysterious figure would have been caught up in it and that wouldn't have had, what I see as, the desired effect. That figure fulfils the job on the left-hand side that the vignette fulfils on the rigth-hand side ... I think!
    Thank you, Donald.

The way you explain and describe what you see or envision, really helps me think a bit more about what it is that I am trying to capture. Often it is just a moment in time that means something and I forget to look at everything that is in the frame. Or, the story that might be told through the image. This image was simply capturing a moment in time and the paddle surfer was a bonus.

Thank you for your time and patience that you freely give.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

well great that you have started using the stuff related to your DSLR! A big congrats!
    Ummmm even I like the cropped version more

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

And yea, I like the processing...

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    well great that you have started using the stuff related to your DSLR! A big congrats!
    Ummmm even I like the cropped version more
    Thank you, Sahil.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    And yea, I like the processing...
    Thanks.

Real Name
    paul wilbur

Hi Mary;

Ah youth!!!

Consider this: next time instead of shooting the "action-figure" moving away from you and we can't see the face. Turn the shot around and see the face and the motion moving toward the camera.

PP is wonderful... very appropriate

paul

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by paulwilbur View Post
    Hi Mary;

Ah youth!!!

Consider this: next time instead of shooting the "action-figure" moving away from you and we can't see the face. Turn the shot around and see the face and the motion moving toward the camera.

PP is wonderful... very appropriate

paul
    Thank you, Paul.

I have shots of him moving towards and away. For some reason, this particular one appealed to me. I will keep that tip in mind... thanks.
    Last edited by ilovelucydog; 14th July 2011 at 11:18 PM.

Wonderful image Mary! I prefer the large open space of the first one.

rob marshall

... and probably after I go sweat my arse off...
    Mary!!!!(+20) I'm shocked (inserts totally shocked smilie here)

I have no clue who the dude on the paddle surfboard is or why he is at my beach.
    Maybe some muscle-bound hunk who took a fancy to you?

PS: Don't you Americans call it a 'butt'?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast