Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Macro Rings

Real Name
    Emma

Macro Rings

Hi All

My lovely OH bought me some macro rings at Christmas and i finally had a go at using them on my holiday, trouble was all my photos came out black (have deleted them).

What am i doing wrong?

Em

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Macro Rings

Emma,

When you say macro rings, you're talking about extension tubes with no optical elements in them? Do they have electrical contacts for your lenses on them? If your images all came up black, I am guessing that it is possible that it is lacking the electrical contacts that help tell the camera what aperture to set on your lens, and thus the exposure metering system is all thrown off.

What brand camera and what brand of extension tubes? And what mode were you shooting in when you gave them a try? Oh, and I guess what lens too.

A bit more info and I'm sure we'll figure it out.

- Bill

Real Name
    Emma

Hi Bill

I will admit the rings are the cheap japanese ones. Yes they are the tubes. I have no idea if they have electrical contacts, i tried it with the auto setting but the man in the camera shop we went to that day (to get mum a new lens) said macro should be done on manual, so i tried that as well. My camera is a Nikon D60 i tried it on the 55mm (think thats what it was) lens and also the small kit lens. Will have another go at it in a couple of days and see what i am doing so i can tell you

Em

Also keep a note of your shooting settings. It certainly sounds like a case of serious under exposure.

Assuming you have removed your lens cap.