Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ohio falls

Real Name
    Bob

Ohio falls

A falls in west central Ohio. In the town of West Milton. Hidden away right downtown.

Shot with Sony A700 and 18-250mm lens.

Ohio falls

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Ohio falls

Bob,

Now you're off and running... glad you got the posting issues sorted out. Welcome to CiC.

First, you have some seriously blown highlights in the front portion of this image - they dominate the shot, and frankly are a little blinding. However, you have a very nice scene within this image, that just a quick crop can draw out...

Ohio falls
    (this is my first time using tinypic, so hopefully that works)

If you don't like the edit, by all means let me know and I'll take it down.

But this crop gives you nice focus on the main waterfall, eliminates the blown highlights that were dominating your original, and puts a little more emphasis on the trees that were framing the shot - here they encircle the main subject, whereas before they only partially did so.

Hope this helps. Nice capture.

- Bill

Real Name
    John Wright

Lovely shot Bob..you've got the shutter speed just right and the crop by Bill finishes it off nicely.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Yep, I'd go with Bill's judgement on the crop.

But the good material was there to start with. A lovely scene, Bob. Good observation to see it in the first place and compose it as you did.

Real Name
    Bill S

Let me echo what Donald and John said... the material was there already... I just made a tiny adjustment with the crop.

Plus it was a sloppy crop that I did very quickly (don't want to get in trouble editing photos at work), but I was just trying to give a visual explanation of my idea.

- Bill

Real Name
    Seri

I looked at your photo and thought that all it needed was that crop, then scrolled down and lo and behold Bill had already done it! It's a smashing image. The green light is gorgeous and I'd love to be there right now. I've never seen a waterfall in real life, we only have tiny streams around here. You're very lucky to live in such a beautiful place

Seri

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Good eye to spot a very interesting subject, Bob. Very nice composition on the crop suggestion, Bill. You two should work together more often.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Good eye to spot a very interesting subject, Bob. Very nice composition on the crop suggestion, Bill. You two should work together more often.
    Actually - I need to get back to planning my CiCiPgh event, and depending on where Bob is at in Ohio, he might be able to join us which would be awesome.

- Bill

Real Name
    Bob

Thanks everyone. As usual you're all right. I badly needed the crop. I was trying to post a picture (for about the 5th time) and just chose one Thanks again.