Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Man on Train Station.

  1. #1
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Man on Train Station.

    Hello guys, I'm back. Took a bus trip from Texas to L.A. California so I can visit the Philippine Consulate Office there to renew my expired Philippine passport. It was my first to ride a cross-state bus trip and maybe I won't try to do it again. The hassle was not worth the savings I've made not to mention the mishaps that happened along the way. The worst of it all was that the bus run out of fuel just after we crossed the New Mexico - Texas border. At 1:30 AM all that we could do was to gaze at the stars in the sky hoping that help would come and fix the bus. The driver said that the fuel gauge indicates a full tank wherein we were probably riding it half-full. Luckily, after 5 grueling hours of waiting, another bus driver re-routed his bus to help us out. We arrived L.A. delayed by almost 8 hours from our scheduled trip. That was chaos for me since I had to travel back to Texas the same day I arrived in L.A. In the end, I only had about 3 hours to go to the consulate office, hope that I can finish the passport renewal thing, eat lunch, and then go back to the bus station all in 3 hours!

    Although I brought along my DSLR, from exhaustion and fatigue (and considering that I still have some eye infection on the right eye) I really had to make an effort in order for me to hold the camera steadily to take some pictures. During the whole bus trip, all I did was really to try to get some rest. I've seen some very spectacular sceneries while crossing the Arizona area but there was no way to capture them since I am inside the bus. Whenever the bus stops for rest and food we are inside a small town and there's not much to shoot at.

    This is one of the very few shots that I got from the whole 5-day trip (4.75 days on the road). This one is on Pershing Subway Station in L.A. Before I took this shot, I saw 2 police officers manning the station so I approached them and told them of my idea. I told the officers that it was my first time to visit L.A. and was hoping to get some shots to keep as mementos of the trip. The officer said that technically pictures are not allowed on the subway but if it is just a snapshot they can allow about 2 -3 shots. I said thanks and took out the camera from my saddle bag and hope that something nice would appear before me to shoot at.

    Man on Train Station.

    I was really having a hard time holding the camera due to body fatigue so I tried to brace myself while I took this shot. I set the camera at ISO 800, an aperture of f/8 and hoping that the shutter would go between 1/15 to 1/30 second so I can blur the incoming train for some nice effect. Among the 3 shots that I took while I was in the subway this one was the only workable shot that I got. Thanks for viewing.

  2. #2
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,234
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    I think, given the circumstances, that you deserve a specially struck CiC medal for that image, Willie.

    Sounds like the journey-from-hell. Amazed you even had the enthusiasm to try and make an image.

  3. #3
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    Thanks, Donald. I thought that I would have a blast taking some pics while I am in L.A. but wasn't able to do any of the previous plans that I had. The body fatigue was too much to really make the trip photographically fruitful. I wish the wife allowed me to use the van for the trip but then came my SIL (sister-in-law) and visited us and said that they need the van so I have to take the bus.

    I can't travel much so whenever I can I try to shoot a lot when I am in new places hoping to capture what's unique on those areas. Unfortunately, this trip was a whole mess for me.
    Last edited by jiro; 9th July 2011 at 05:29 PM.

  4. #4
    PicsbyChance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Woodland, CA
    Posts
    221
    Real Name
    Mike

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    Willie,

    I really like this image even with out considering the story behind it. The southwest can be such a beautiful part of the country, I am sorry you didn't get more of an opportunity to capture it. Keep up the good work. I have always enjoyed your perspective.

    Mike

  5. #5

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    I completely agree with Donald. You deserve a medal!!! Oh, Willie - you poor man! What a wretched trip. Now, here I was, observing that you were gone - missing you - and thinking that, somehow, you were gone on some lovely vacation with the kids and having a grand ol' time. I guess the grand ol' time is for another time. BUT, what a great image for one out of three - especially considering the circumstances!

    Hey! Welcome home!!! I'm really glad you're back.

  6. #6
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    Quote Originally Posted by PicsbyChance View Post
    Willie,

    I really like this image even with out considering the story behind it. The southwest can be such a beautiful part of the country, I am sorry you didn't get more of an opportunity to capture it. Keep up the good work. I have always enjoyed your perspective.

    Mike
    Thanks, Mike. If I had my own car with me when I took this trip I would definitely go home totally happy with lots of pictures to bring along with me. When we passed by the Phoenix Arizona area, the sun was just going down and there it was right in front of me - those big rocks and hills and mountains being bathed by that warm orange sunset light that I was really dying to capture. The days are very long in the summer and it was already 8:30PM that time. I tried to capture some of them while I was inside the bus but the glass reflections was too much of a distraction and it would need a lot of effort to retouch it in PP. On top of it all, how would you appreciate all that when beside you you have a big black guy snoring with some saliva drooling out of his mouth. This trip was really a total mess but hey, life is always like that... full of curved balls and surprises.

  7. #7
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I completely agree with Donald. You deserve a medal!!! Oh, Willie - you poor man! What a wretched trip. Now, here I was, observing that you were gone - missing you - and thinking that, somehow, you were gone on some lovely vacation with the kids and having a grand ol' time. I guess the grand ol' time is for another time. BUT, what a great image for one out of three - especially considering the circumstances!

    Hey! Welcome home!!! I'm really glad you're back.
    Thanks, Katy. I'm glad somebody misses me here. I hope my next road trip would be better, and definitely not on a bus!

  8. #8
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,790
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    Brilliant bus driver When I was a truck driver I had an habit of looking in the fuel tank. Five hours , that's almost as long as you have to wait for a bus on a Sunday.

    It is never a good idea to take a long bus journey unless you know the company; we have one round here called Red Arrow that runs a bus every ten minutes 24/7 that has leather seats, free wifi and air conditioning. Costs less than the other lot and is always full and makes a profit, unlike the other lot.

    But if I'm going south eg London, no way am I catching a bus

    As usual the pic is exceptional.

  9. #9
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    Thanks, Steve. The Texas - L.A. route is being serviced only by one major bus company so not much option for me. These are probably 10 - 12 year old buses plying the route and running 24/7 unless they break down for a major repair.

    Here's one of the other 2 shots that I was able to take:

    Man on Train Station.

    The last remaining shot was just a shot of the outgoing train with me testing what would would be the effect if the shutter speed was about 1/6 second. This one was shot at ISO 800, f/8 at 1/6 second handheld.

  10. #10
    epmi314's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    471
    Real Name
    Scott Benz

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    I remember a bus ride from Kentucky to Michigan that took 18 hours. It was awful! There was some guy behind me that claimed he was 18 years old and had spent a number of years in a Russian jail. I determined there is one perfectly insane individual on the bus every time. It is vitally important to identify them as soon as possible after boarding. If you are having a great deal of trouble identifying this person then the one crazy person on the bus is most likely...you! I have taken a bus 4 times and was only the crazy person once...(lol) The same rule does not apply to trains...

    Terrible experiences often make the most interesting stories. Glad you made it back in one piece and little worse for wear!

  11. #11
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    Thanks, Scott. I'm really glad to get back home and be able to lay flat on the bed for some good old rest for my back.

  12. #12
    PicsbyChance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Woodland, CA
    Posts
    221
    Real Name
    Mike

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Thanks, Mike. If I had my own car with me when I took this trip I would definitely go home totally happy with lots of pictures to bring along with me. When we passed by the Phoenix Arizona area, the sun was just going down and there it was right in front of me - those big rocks and hills and mountains being bathed by that warm orange sunset light that I was really dying to capture. The days are very long in the summer and it was already 8:30PM that time. I tried to capture some of them while I was inside the bus but the glass reflections was too much of a distraction and it would need a lot of effort to retouch it in PP. On top of it all, how would you appreciate all that when beside you you have a big black guy snoring with some saliva drooling out of his mouth. This trip was really a total mess but hey, life is always like that... full of curved balls and surprises.
    One year I helped my brother move from Pheonix during the winter. We only had a couple of days to make the move, so I didn't bring my camera and of course......it snowed most of the way through the desert. I had never seen it so beautiful! The snow was a brilliant white and the mountains ranged from yellow, green, and watermelon red with a complex angry sky. I will never forget it. I am thankful life gave me the experience but I wish I could have recorded it. I love the southwest. Maybe some day we'll have to make a road trip!

  13. #13

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    Sorry to hear about your ordeal Jiro. I guess bus journeys are an ordeal whatever the country. It took me 11 hours to get from Manchester to Swansea once...thats 200 miles or so. Ha a large thermos full of Vodka so we were pretty numb when we arrived.

    Your first image is a real cracker. Brilliant stuff

  14. #14
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Sorry to hear about your ordeal Jiro. I guess bus journeys are an ordeal whatever the country. It took me 11 hours to get from Manchester to Swansea once...thats 200 miles or so. Ha a large thermos full of Vodka so we were pretty numb when we arrived.

    Your first image is a real cracker. Brilliant stuff
    Thanks, mate. I was really glad that I got a keeper even if I only had 3 shots on the subway. Not a true cracker but still a good one I guess.

  15. #15
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,790
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    Quote Originally Posted by epmi314 View Post
    I remember a bus ride from Kentucky to Michigan that took 18 hours. It was awful! There was some guy behind me that claimed he was 18 years old and had spent a number of years in a Russian jail. I determined there is one perfectly insane individual on the bus every time. It is vitally important to identify them as soon as possible after boarding. If you are having a great deal of trouble identifying this person then the one crazy person on the bus is most likely...you! I have taken a bus 4 times and was only the crazy person once...(lol) The same rule does not apply to trains...

    Terrible experiences often make the most interesting stories. Glad you made it back in one piece and little worse for wear!
    The only time I caught a bus to London, the person in the next seat was a skateboarder with it in my teeth, and reckoned he had council housing which he subletted for 300 per week to three tenants. I rent from a social landlord and my home is like 400 per month and subletting like he did is against the rules. But he said he only paid 24 per week for a central London address.

    This is just from memory and that is unreliable, but the only reason I noticed was because of injustice. Off track again

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    You were missed... much. I'm sorry you had such a horrible trip. Buses. Your first image is amazing... even more so knowing what a difficult time you were having. I do hope you are getting some much needed rest. Hugs.

  17. #17
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    You were missed... much. I'm sorry you had such a horrible trip. Buses. Your first image is amazing... even more so knowing what a difficult time you were having. I do hope you are getting some much needed rest. Hugs.
    Thanks, Mary. Rest, I got some. Hugs... uhh... what is it again?

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Thanks, Mary. Rest, I got some. Hugs... uhh... what is it again?
    Well, Willie... you KNOW that if I met you... I would give you a big 'ol hug! You have been an inspiration and helped me a ton. So... another big hug!

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    Hi Willie,

    Call me old ... call me a fool (just don't call me an old fool!) ... but in my day - guages or no guages - nothing beat filling a tank up until one can't get anymore into it (works for cars / boats / planes / lawnmowers / motorcycles too)!

    It reminded me of a bus trip I had many years ago - it was only for about 5 or 6 hours, but the "joy" of it was, the driver hadn't secured a door on the rear of the bus, and passengers luggage had been steadily working it's way out and onto the road as we drove along. After it happened a SECOND time, I took my suitcase onboard with me! On another occasion a driver was constantly riding the bumper to the car in front - so driver in front decides to "brake test" the bus - then the bus stopped and both drivers almost had a punch up! Ah, fun days!

    My last bus trip was to a Glen Campbell concert - I took my daughter with me and I thought we'd see how many different forms of transport we could take over the week end - so we drove into town - walked to the bus station - bussed to ferry terminal - ferry to Wellington - Taxi to hotel ... concert was cancelled ... fly back home. But at least the bus trip was good!

    Glad you made it back safely!

  20. #20
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Man on Train Station.

    That was funny, Colin.

    From what I know, Greyhound bus drivers rely on the maintenance crews to check everything on the bus. There are designated stop overs where the bus was actually required to refuel. Probably, both the crew and the driver just relied on the fuel gauge instead of using the plain old common sense like you did gauge or no gauge. As you have said, I'm really glad I made it in one piece. Cheers.
    Last edited by jiro; 10th July 2011 at 02:47 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •