Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rhossili Downs,Gower Peninsla

Real Name
    David Phillips

Rhossili Downs,Gower Peninsla

Shot yesterday,Sony Alpha A100,Minolta 50mm f1.7@f8,ISO100

White cottage on the downs is National Trust owned and rented at very high rate,reflecting the location.
    Thanks for looking

Dave.
    Last edited by swanseadave; 9th July 2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: typo

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Rhossili Downs,Gower Peninsla

Rob (Marshall) has also posted at least one image of this same location. It is here.

My first reaction, Dave, on seeing your image, was that there is maybe too much of the grass bank in the foreground on view, particularly as it is in shade. It fills up a significant proportion of the whole image and whilst it's may a very nice grass bank, it's bit boring.

Less of it showing at the bottom of the image would give us context, but I don't think we need to see so much.

What you very cleverly done is got that shaft of sunlight onto the cottage. And if there was less grass in the foreground, I think the image would be then able to carry the nearer raised beach (it is a raised beach, isn't it?) and hillside being in shade.

One thought. I'm sure there will be others.
    Last edited by Donald; 9th July 2011 at 09:09 AM.

Real Name
    David Phillips

Thank you Donald.I agree there`s too much grassy foreground.The bit of beach you refer to is where the footpath to the top starts.It`s one heck of a climb and rather too much for me these days.

FWIW here`s one from 1987 from further down the headland.

Shot with either a Fujica STX1n or AX1/50mm f1.6,I forget which body.Scanned,no post processing except that applied by Flickr.

Cheers and thanks for your comments.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by swanseadave View Post
    That one's a beauty.

Real Name
    John Wright

I'll put this location on our 'to visit' list-lovely area. Yes, too much grass,even 'cropping' it on the screen with paper that bulge takes some away from it-I don't like going to cliff edges standing up so maybe lying down would have helped but the observation is not to take away from an otherwise very attractive photo.

Real Name
    David Phillips

Thank you again Donald and John.Your comments are appreciated.

Here is another from the same day in 1987 shot 90 deg to the left,and further south than the above.This is Worm`s head,Rhossili with the same body/lens.The broad sweep of the bay is to the right out of shot.

I deliberately exposed to silhouette the foreground figures.I cannot remember the aperture now though.

Cheers.

Real Name
    John Wright

Very nice. If you can get the sun in like that without blowing out the whole photo it makes for a really nice shot which this is. I'm lingering on it and you know what ? I think it would be improved by taking out the group of people and just leaving the couple because it's a sort of action shot with him holding the bins. What I found was that the group on the right were competing for attention with the couple. Just place some paper over the people to the right and I think you'll see an improvement and it can be cropped without losing any of the headland.

Real Name
    paul wilbur

Image #1

Classic!!!

good job, old school wins...

paul