Thread: Stray light

Real Name
    Chris

Stray light

Hello everyone, it has been a while since I last posted! I have been toying around with a 28" light tent and am still having problems getting good shots of objects that are very shiny. I have a couple of spots (and umbrellas if needed) available to light the tent but can't come up with a setup that works well- way too many odd reflections off of the surfaces of the object. This shot was taken with two lights (one on either side) plus a polarizing filter on the lens. I'm thinking the composition is a little goofy, but what I really wanted was a good image of the teacup! Any suggestions for me?

Stray light

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Stray light

When I shoot a very shiny object in a light tent, I shoot it through a slit in the front lap of the tent. That way, the only reflection on my subject would be that of the front element of the lens. However, many light tents do not come with a front flap and many home made light tents do not include a front flap. In that case, I suggest shooting in a dark room with the only illumination from your photo lights, be they continuous or strobe. Covering yourself and the camera/lens with a dark cloth would additionally prevent refections of yourself or your camera in the shiny surface you are shooting.

However, there is also always Matte Dulling Spray to use. But, you must be careful on what surface you use this spray because, despite the fact that it can be wiped clean from many surfaces; there are surfaces that can be ruined by the spray...
    http://setshop.com/expendables/dulli...nufacturers_id
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 9th July 2011 at 09:31 PM.

Real Name
    Bill S

Would a polarizing filter help in this case? (note - that is a question, I have no idea, but I'm sure someone wiser will have the answer for us!)

- Bill

Real Name
    Chris

Richard,
    Thanks for the feedback. I did shoot through a front flap which made for some of the weirder reflections/images off of the front surfaces. I haven't tried the 'dulling spray', never heard of it before but sounds like a great idea, and will give the dark room with the dark cloth over me and the camera a try.
    Chris

Real Name
    Chris

Dark room, one light, polarizing filter, happily didn't need the cloth over my head!! Thanks Richard and Bill.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/fo...chmentid=15616

Real Name
    Bill S

Chris,

I think your focus is off a little bit in that latest one, but the reflections are definitely reduced. Well done.

- Bill