Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    I was on a loooonnnggg walk with Lucy the other day... not in an area where I typically walk and wasn't planning on taking pictures so only had my iPhone. Have I told you how much I love my iPhone. We came across this bridge and I thought it would make a good image. It was such a humid, bright-haze day that the sky and other areas were totally blown. Anyway... I have worked and worked on it and came up with these. I like them... but... I don't always follow the crowd in my likings.

    I did go back with my DSLR... but they are now working on that part of the trail so couldn't get to it. I can go back again... but this is what I've got for now. The first one is the original.

    I added one more way down the thread. It's the one that I like the most...


    020sooc.jpg

    020vibrant.jpg

    020faded.jpg

    020bw.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ilovelucydog; 8th July 2011 at 08:48 PM.

  2. #2
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,232
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    I like the potential of it as a B & W. The bridge forms a lovely line and shape and, with the trees, provides contrasting and interesting textures.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Saint Marie De Kent, New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    62
    Real Name
    Chris Martin

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    It's a great scene and can't wait to see what you come up with the DSLR. I love scenes like this, i rarely shoot people anymore, just landscapes and wildlife. Makes you think on how many kids ran across the bridge chasing butterflies or how many young lovers stopped and stole a kiss in the middle.......

  4. #4
    ktuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,518
    Real Name
    Bill S

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Mary, err... Lucy... err yeah... (hehe!)

    I think the 3rd version is my favorite. I think it has a nice vintage feel to it. I think #2 feels just a touch over-processed for my tastes. I also like the B&W version, but feel like maybe the contrast could use a slight touch in the lighter direction. Those blacks in it are so strong, they seem to over-power other things.

    I too am looking forward to the SLR results.

    - Bill

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chandigarh, India
    Posts
    1,541
    Real Name
    Sahil Jain

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Lucy,
    This is good.. But please show me a DSLR & a different PoV!!
    And ENOUGH of your iphone shots :P

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    Lucy,
    This is good.. But please show me a DSLR & a different PoV!!
    And ENOUGH of your iphone shots :P
    I know. It's just that the walks I go on are so long and I walk so fast that the DSLR bounces back and forth and back and forth. But.... I will... I've been scoping out a few places to get some shots....

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chandigarh, India
    Posts
    1,541
    Real Name
    Sahil Jain

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Well maybe, the other Lucy can take care of your DSLR :P
    I am sure she is capable enough

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Mary, err... Lucy... err yeah... (hehe!)

    I think the 3rd version is my favorite. I think it has a nice vintage feel to it. I think #2 feels just a touch over-processed for my tastes. I also like the B&W version, but feel like maybe the contrast could use a slight touch in the lighter direction. Those blacks in it are so strong, they seem to over-power other things.

    I too am looking forward to the SLR results.

    - Bill
    Thanks, Bill. I didn't post the one I really like. It's much more faded than the vintage one is... kind of washed out etheral looking. The blacks are a bit strong... I'll get drag my other camera out... I guess.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Quote Originally Posted by smcconsulting View Post
    It's a great scene and can't wait to see what you come up with the DSLR. I love scenes like this, i rarely shoot people anymore, just landscapes and wildlife. Makes you think on how many kids ran across the bridge chasing butterflies or how many young lovers stopped and stole a kiss in the middle.......
    I think the trail that the bridge is on runs through a campground... but I'm not sure... I couldn't find the access to it. It is a pretty scene.

  10. #10
    ktuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,518
    Real Name
    Bill S

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Sounds like you need to order a better camera bag.

    - Bill

  11. #11
    MrB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    1,125
    Real Name
    Philip

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Mary, I'm sorry to be the odd-one-out, but I actually prefer the misty tranquility of the original scene. The processed versions have lost that - they seem to leap out and bite you on the nose! I think it just needs less of the sky -

    Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Cheers.

    Philip

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Sounds like you need to order a better camera bag.

    - Bill
    I have this bag:

    http://products.lowepro.com/product/...e-300,2083.htm

    And this strap:

    http://www.amazon.com/Straps-Lightwe...0152655&sr=8-2

    I think it's a 'Mary' or 'Lucy'... whoever I am problem.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Mary, I'm sorry to be the odd-one-out, but I actually prefer the misty tranquility of the original scene. The processed versions have lost that - they seem to leap out and bite you on the nose! I think it just needs less of the sky -

    Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Cheers.

    Philip
    Thanks, Philip. I think, if I can get back on a day that isn't so humid-hazy-bright (it was a weird day) it will be really pretty without much pp.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Here's the one that I like:

    020bwsoft.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    Well maybe, the other Lucy can take care of your DSLR :P
    I am sure she is capable enough
    Ha! It's so hot and humid that when I say we're going on a walk she runs upstairs and gets on the bed in protest.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I like the potential of it as a B & W. The bridge forms a lovely line and shape and, with the trees, provides contrasting and interesting textures.
    Thanks, Donald. I posted another B & W of it... I think it works better... but... hey... what do I know?

  17. #17
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,232
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Thanks, Donald. I posted another B & W of it... I think it works better... but... hey... what do I know?
    a) I agree
    b) a lot

    I think the original capture doesn't give you the optimum starting point (but you acknowledged that in the first post). But if that is a location you can re-visit, then you're ready to go - You've got the composition. All you need to to do is get into the exact same spot and wait for nature to give you the right light.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    a) I agree
    b) a lot

    I think the original capture doesn't give you the optimum starting point (but you acknowledged that in the first post). But if that is a location you can re-visit, then you're ready to go - You've got the composition. All you need to to do is get into the exact same spot and wait for nature to give you the right light.
    Thank you, Donald. Yes, the original is not a good starting point... at all. It's so stormy here today so I'm just playing in CS5.

    In that location, I am facing west... toward where the sun would be setting. If it is a clear day, what, in your opinion would be a good time of day? Morning, when the sun would be behind my back or...? The location that I would be standing is somewhat under a canopie of trees. I have a lot to learn about how light affects the photo... but I am sloooowly learning.

  19. #19
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,232
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    If it is a clear day, what, in your opinion would be a good time of day?
    I'd want to be there in the very early morning and ready to go just as the sun started to brush the timbers of the bridge. By that time it would be up enough to be hitting those trees in the background and there would be enough contrast between them and the bridge timbers.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Walking Bridge... Tried to Salvage it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'd want to be there in the very early morning and ready to go just as the sun started to brush the timbers of the bridge. By that time it would be up enough to be hitting those trees in the background and there would be enough contrast between them and the bridge timbers.
    Thank you, Donald.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •