Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Watergate Lane

Real Name
    Pat

Watergate Lane

C&C Extrremely welcome.
    The arch was one time the gate onto the quay(the land beyond has been reclaimed)and is locally known as Cromwell's Arch as according to historical records it is from here that Oliver Cromwell returned to England after his expedition to quell the unrest among the Irish at the time.Best Wishes Pat.

Watergate Lane

Watergate Lane

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Re: Watergate Lane

I like both these images. With no 1 how about cropping out the brickwork on the left to also make the arch at the back the centre of the photo? I also think no 2 could do with the same treatment but to a lesser degree. Just a thought but i think both would make a good B&W conversion especially no 1, the wet flag stones should come up well.

Real Name
    Chris

Dang, look at all those empty beer kegs...must have been one heck of a party!..I like #2 more as well, but I have a tendency toward liking cooler tones.

I might use the painting with light technique to draw out more details in the left side window as it is a bit too drab in tonal range compared to the color richness found in the rest of the image. I would also clone out the little lamp on the right side-wall, as it tends to draw the eye there first and not to those lovely kegs which so nicely lead the eye to the arched walkway.

For me, the second image is spoilt by that little patch of brighter sky to the left of the light. I think the scene would benefit by darkening this patch.

But overall, they are both good photos.

Real Name
    Pat

Thank you very much Andrew,Chris and Geoff for your reply and comments.
    I will definitely try a black and white as I have very little experience in that conversion.
    The painting with light technique sounds interesting but I dont have the software available to me.
    That little bit of brighter sky will have to go.
    Best Wishes Pat