Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Using the "Painting with Light" method...sort of, and...

Real Name
    Chris

Using the "Painting with Light" method...sort of, and...

adding the Jiro effect with a second sharpen to only the B&W layer. There are four images, two cropped, and two full frame. The first set are sans Jiroizing. Both sets utilized the "Painting with light" method, but pretty much in reverse by pulling the curve to the bottom, inverting the layer and brushing in a darker value in specific places.

Later, I did a second curve layer as per the given instructions by Ron and lightened up some areas of interest.

So boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen, which do you like best and of course...pray tell, why.

Real Name
    Ron

Re: Using the "Painting with Light" method...sort of, and...

I think the last two photo's look better because there is more detail in the dark area of the trees on the left side of the photo.Out of those two i like the uncropped better.A beautiful image all together no matter which one is chosen...Ron

Real Name
    Chris

Hi MiniChris

I am fairly new to CiC so am not totally sure what you mean when you mention the "Jiro Effect" and "painting with light", am I right in assuming your create a new layer in Photoshop, filled with 50% grey, set to soft light blending mode then paint with white to lighten and black to darken?

It is a great technique.
    I agree with Rasbury - the second 2 images are more balanced in terms of tonal range, not sure if a crop or clone is the best way to remove the distracting stems (bottom right).

I think you could go even further with your processing - by selectively darkening the sky and the lake surface you may be able to bring more detail out. Also by selectively darkening the darker trees in the mid ground (right side of image) you may be able to give the image even more of a feeling of depth.
    Hope you don't mind but I had a play with your image, I don't know how different it looks as a low res jpg but I am sure the work done on your original image would look much better.

BTW - I enjoy viewing your images and reading your postings.

Regards

Chris

Real Name
    Chris

Actually, it is not that at all. Jiroizing is to create a B&W layer, relatively high contrast then applying a Luminosity blend mode, adjusting the opacity to taste.

Painting with light requires a curve layer whereas you pull the curve upward in the middle to lighten a dark area as suited to taste, then doing a control-I to invert the layer and with a soft brush set at 10 to20%, paint with white in that area, again to taste. I did the curve adjustment, but went the opposite way, darkening certain areas, inverting the layer mask and painting the same way.

I use the overlay method sparingly as it tends to mush up colors too much to suit my tastes. Thanks for the comments; I enjoy your work as well.

Real Name
    Chris

Hi Chris

I have not heard of that method before (painting with light) but then I am not a Photoshop expert but I will give it a try - anything to improve my images.

I did discover something recently called Luminosity Masks - http://goodlight.us/index.html - 'painting with light sounds a little like this method of increasing tonal range.

I understand the principal of Luminosity Masks but I'm still reading through the notes to try and understand how best to apply the procedure to my images.
    Sadly I'm not content to just to know something works, I need to try and understand 'how' and 'why' it works....................................its a curse!

Regards

Chris

Real Name
    Chris

I am just the opposite..probably a lack of sound scientific training, drats to American schooling...I just want it to work and then I want to find a way to tweek it and modify and...you know, screw it completely up to where no one else would ever recognize it...hey, I have to play.

In essence, the luminosity mask generates a secondary grayscale that merges with the color range and "beefs" up the overall sharpness of all tones, especially the mid-tone spectrum. I like the overall enhanced value range, though I do tend to lower the opacity more than Jiro does..speaking of who, I wonder where that boy has gotten off to..and Martyn (Nomadr - where is he these days?)

Sometimes, when I want less overall range, I change the blend mode to soft light as I find that range works well with images like your current competition entry. And yes, I edit in color to the full range of exploration before converting to grayscale in silver Efex Pro. I really love that image of all the lanes and the low fog..really, really a lovely image. (If you wouldn't mind, I'd love the exposure setting for that shot - lens, ISO, etc. And, I would like to request that I be able to use it in my classroom to teach composition to my Photo 1 students.)

Real Name
    Mark

The last one. Better detail in the dark areas and the crop gets rid of the reeds in the bottom RH corner.

I don't know which I like best, Chris, but it's really a lovely, lovely shot!

Nope, I take that back - I went and looked again. I like the richness of the trees and the detail in the mist on the mountains and the clouds in the first two. The thing is, I reached to check if my screen brightness was turned down. The second two are a little bit brighter, which is nice. and, I really can't tell if it's my imagination - expecting it to be there or not - but the last two have that Jiro sharpness to them but, of course, the first two are wonderfully clear, too. That's what I see. Love the scene!

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I don't know which I like best, Chris, but it's really a lovely, lovely shot!

Nope, I take that back - I went and looked again. I like the richness of the trees and the detail in the mist on the mountains and the clouds in the first two. The thing is, I reached to check if my screen brightness was turned down. The second two are a little bit brighter, which is nice. and, I really can't tell if it's my imagination - expecting it to be there or not - but the last two have that Jiro sharpness to them but, of course, the first two are wonderfully clear, too. That's what I see. Love the scene!
    Thanks, Katy...it's not too far from your digs...just about 6 miles outside of St. Johnsbury, VT on Route 2. I really liked that whole area and wish I could go back when the sun was shinning..sighhhhhh.