Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Old Cedar Tree

Real Name
    John Wright

Old Cedar Tree

This cedar tree is 400 years old. Taken with a normal 17-40 lens (photo 1) it doesn't seem to have much going for it but with the 15mm fish-eye it seems to look more attractive, I haven't figured out why yet. I just tried the circular cap to see what that would look like, I should stepped back a bit more so the whole circle showed,I need to watch that next time.

I don't know what type of tree the dead one is or why it died but the birds enjoyed sitting in it early morning time, seemingly to warm up. .

Old Cedar Tree

Old Cedar Tree

Old Cedar Tree

Old Cedar Tree

Old Cedar Tree

Old Cedar Tree
    Last edited by JohnC; 6th July 2011 at 10:07 PM.

Real Name
    paul wilbur

Re: Old Cedar Tree

Hi John;

After 400 years in England, I'd not have much going for me either. But, you thought enough of the ole' buddy to take it's picture and share it with the rest of the world, the tree would be proud!!!

paul

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    This cedar tree is 400 years old. Taken with a normal 17-40 lens (photo 1) it doesn't seem to have much going for it
    I'd suggest it's because to get the whole tree in, you've had to step back and include a lot of sort-of boring grass. I think the last ibn your series provides the answer. Sometimes it's about getting up close and concentrating on the detail, rather than trying to encapsulate the whole thing.

Real Name
    John Wright

Thanks both. That's probably why then,Donald. The last one of the trunk in detail is interesting for the reason you've suggested. I can't be doing with not knowing some detail about a photo so when I can I get information,I called the Ansty Hotel, Nr. Coventry earlier and the dead tree was a chestnut. I stayed there en-route to photograph the Ospreys at Rutland Water