Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Upgrading from 450D

Real Name
    Kumar Limbu

Upgrading from 450D

Hi,

I currently own a Canon 450D camera. I am thinking about upgrading.

I like the feature and feel of the 7D but is it worth upgrading? The factors are cost and it is also almost 2 years old (is it an issue with a higher end product?).

What do everyone suggest? I would like to stick with Canon. Thanks!

Re: Upgrading from 450D

Can you give us a bit more information about what you mostly photograph; and your budget? Remember we love spending other people's money!

For example, some bird photographers love the 7D but others find it is too heavy and complicated to use.

Personally, I'm sticking with my trusty 40D for now. A friend recently bought a 60D but I couldn't see any advantage for me with that model.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

I believe, (but might be mistaken) that 450D the same as the XSI or Kiss 2? If so, I have both, and they both have their place. The 7D has a much higher ISO range, while the XSI, only goes to 1600, with lots of noise. The XSI is very portable and user friendly. I keep it with me when I commute or if I need a pickup camera for quick shots.

I agree with Geoff that the 7D is heavy and not easily manipulated like the 450D. I especially liked the display of settings on the back of the camera of the XSI, rather than on the top. It is much easier to read and change, at least for me right now.

The 7D offers me the greatest range of settings, which has been wonderful. It is new and I do not have enough time with it yet. Others here are much more knowledgeable and will have more professional opinions, but this is my very inexperienced view right now.

Hope this helps - some.

Marie

Real Name
    Kumar Limbu

The 450D and XSI are the same.

I usually use it when I go hiking or anywhere I think I might get a chance to take nice pictures . I would say I take mostly landscape pictures but I am somebody who is learning and I feel I should look at upgrading my gears.

In terms of budget I would say I am ready to spend on 7D but nothing more expensive but I will only buy it if it is worth the extra dough. I do find that 7D feels quite solid when handled and the shutter clicks and the continuous shooting on that camera is quite impressive.

I can settle for 60D or 600D as well if they are compelling enough upgrades.