Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Morning mists, variations on a theme

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Morning mists, variations on a theme

Thanks to those who took the trouble to view and comment. Much appreciated.
    Just some early misty morning shots from our place looking out over the valley across the sleepy hollow town of Seymour and the Tallarook Ranges.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Morning mists, variations on a theme

#2 and #4 for me, Ken. The way you composed these two gives more depth to the shot. You should shoot this scenery more and come up with some dramatic lights and fog. I like it!

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    #2 and #4 for me, Ken. The way you composed these two gives more depth to the shot. You should shoot this scenery more and come up with some dramatic lights and fog. I like it!
    Thanks for viewing Willie.
    Your advice and comments are very much valued.
    It is interesting that you liked #2 in that I was a bit hesitant about this one and nearly didn't post it. I was worried it might have been a bit too 'busy' and missing the definitive focus which was meant to be the town, nestled in the valley, just after dawn, with the street lighting still not yet fully turned off.
    Cheers
    Ken
    Last edited by ucci; 4th July 2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Richard

I love images like these in which distance is defined by haze or mist in varying degrees...

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Thanks for viewing Willie.
    Your advice and comments are very much valued.
    It is interesting that you liked #2 in that I was a bit hesitant about this one and nearly didn't post it. I was worried it might have been a bit too 'busy' and missing the definitive focus which was meant to be the town, nestled in the valley, just after dawn, with the street lighting still not yet fully turned off.
    Cheers
    Ken
    The reason I liked #2 was that the inclusion of the town in between the tall trees in the foreground and then the mountains in the background definitely gives the mind the idea of depth and distance. The mist made it more dramatic and gave the shot the dynamics that it needs. My idea was that if you watched and waited for this scene to unfold before your eyes, there would definitely a shot wherein the first rays of light in the morning would hit the mist and give it that strong orange glow to the whole surrounding. Of course we can play around on this a little bit on PP. The question there is - should we look at it as purists or should we enhance the image to make it coincide with the vision we had about the scene? Usually I go with the latter.

As for #4, what I like about the capture you did was that the central part of the small hill was surrounded by the mist. In PP, I would definitely highlight that one by enhancing its contrast more than the rest of the image and brighten it a little bit. Then I would add another fog effect behind that hill and slowly fade until the mountain are just barely visible.

I wish I am near such places like yours to see and capture these wonderful images. I wouldn't mind sleeping early so I could wake up at 3 o' clock in the morning to see this scene unfold before me.
    Last edited by jiro; 4th July 2011 at 01:18 AM.

Real Name
    Bobo

I like

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Thanks for commenting Richard
    K

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    The reason I liked #2 was that the inclusion of the town in between the tall trees in the foreground and then the mountains in the background definitely gives the mind the idea of depth and distance. The mist made it more dramatic and gave the shot the dynamics that it needs. My idea was that if you watched and waited for this scene to unfold before your eyes, there would definitely a shot wherein the first rays of light in the morning would hit the mist and give it that strong orange glow to the whole surrounding. Of course we can play around on this a little bit on PP. The question there is - should we look at it as purists or should we enhance the image to make it coincide with the vision we had about the scene? Usually I go with the latter.

As for #4, what I like about the capture you did was that the central part of the small hill was surrounded by the mist. In PP, I would definitely highlight that one by enhancing its contrast more than the rest of the image and brighten it a little bit. Then I would add another fog effect behind that hill and slowly fade until the mountain are just barely visible.

I wish I am near such places like yours to see and capture these wonderful images. I wouldn't mind sleeping early so I could wake up at 3 o' clock in the morning to see this scene unfold before me.
    Pretty good advice which I will have a go at and see how it gels. Thanks Willie. Unfortunately with the height of the ranges, which are to the East of town, by the time the sun is high enough for its rays to hit the town any mist in the valley has dissipated. The only way to get the effect of orange shrouded mist you suggest is either through PS or with an evening mist at sunset. And these are very rare here. As for stirring your stumps at 3am? Now that is dedication! Especially as at that time it is as dark as the inside of a flea's earhole, and as cold as a Bank Manager's smile. At this time of year, when we get our morning mists, first light struggles up around 7.30 a.m. or so. Not much point risking the elements before then. How about the next time we get a good mist here I will email it to you?
    As a point of interest, and for what it is worth,, the hill in #4 is about 10 kms from us as the crow flies. The blue hill in the top LH corner of #3 is Mount Piper and just over 30kms from us, direct line of sight.
    Cheers
    Ken
    Last edited by ucci; 4th July 2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Real Name

Well, I must have read so many books that I seem to remember much about the dedication of these landscape photographers. They knew that the changes in the light whether it is dawn or dusk are so fleeting that they want to capture every subtle variation of it. Some of them, when they have found the right spot to compose the scene would even camp there so they can capture those fleeting moments. I really admire those guys having such dedication to what they really love to do in their life. I will definitely try to save some money for travel and would love to do the same and put this idea on my bucket list. Cheers.
    Last edited by jiro; 4th July 2011 at 04:33 PM.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Those are great shots, Ken. I am drawn to #1 - it has almost an unreal look to it - it just catches my eye and makes me linger. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Wilie
    What you have read and what you say is quite true. We have some really magnificent fiery sunsets here at home. However you often only have literally seconds to catch the optimum effect. it is usual to see brilliant orange skies pale to a dead flat lifeless grey within a few minutes. One has to be there, prepared and ready. There are no second chances.
    K

Real Name
    John Wright

Great shots Ken.I prefer early morning to evening and the 'awakening' township makes a very interesting shot. Photo 3 is what you get with a temperature inversion.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Great shots Ken.I prefer early morning to evening and the 'awakening' township makes a very interesting shot. Photo 3 is what you get with a temperature inversion.
    Thanks for viewing and commenting John
    Cheers
    Ken

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Those are great shots, Ken. I am drawn to #1 - it has almost an unreal look to it - it just catches my eye and makes me linger. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for your very nice comment Mary. I didn't ignore your post to me. I did in fact post a reply to you yesterday but somehow it didn't seen to surface. This is not the first time replies I have posted have gone missing in action. Which is a bit of a bummer Oh well...
    Glad you shared my concept of being drawn into the various 'layers' which seemed to transect this shot.
    Ken