Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Plain and Simple - flash practice

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Plain and Simple - flash practice

Thank you, Sean for your very timely tutorial on camera flash.

I think I understand???????

And, thanks to all who have C&C'ed my photographs and gently reminded me that it is ok to use flash when ambient light is also involved.

I shot this image with my Canon 7D and 70-200 2.8L lens in manual mode before I read the tutorial on camera flash. Shutter speed 1/250, F4.5 (I think) and ISO 250, flash enabled. FEC was set at approx -2.75, 2nd curtain sync (why I did this, I don't rightly know, other that I have gotten better flash results this way). There was moderate ambient light. I did not set EC up according to the formula. I will try it on my next photos so I have a better handle on what changing this part of the equation will be.

Plain and Simple - flash practice

As always, C&C welcome.

Marie

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Plain and Simple - flash practice

I think you did very good on the flash exposure, Marie. Wow, that lens can sure make clean bokehs with ease! I have also been experimenting on some minor flash photography lately. The only difference is that I am using an old flash unit that can't use any TTL Flash mode with the camera. I can only use it in manual mode so FEC is out of the question. If I would comment on your shot I would only comment on the composition itself. The angle of the main subject (I am hoping it would be the big flower on the right foreground) does not seem to fully feature the good side of the shot. Exposure wise, I am really tempted to recommend some extra + EV to be added just enough to make the white part of the flower to be brighter than what was shown here. I know how hard it is to nail both the composition and the flash exposure right so I have to commend you for a brave and good effort trying it and make it work. I hope to see more sample from this experiment of yours, Marie. Good work.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Thanks, Willie

I was actually inspired by the thread by Rob on "What a worm sees....". I have always shied away from using flash because I did not know how to use it to my advantage, and my results were never subtle.

I am hoping, with practice, that on-camera and off camera flash work will be less of a mystery and become another tool in my bag I can use.

Marie

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Hass View Post
    I have always shied away from using flash because I did not know how to use it to my advantage
    To be honest, it's a learning curve for sure - and can be a steep one at that - but the results will definitely speak for themselves when you master it, so it's well worth the effort. Also, we have a pretty good depth of knowledge here at CiC - so if you want to jump in "boots and all", we can probably help quite a lot.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 5th August 2011 at 12:31 PM.