Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mandolin Girl

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Mandolin Girl

On July 13 I will head to Siskiyou County in northern California to photograph the Scott Valley Bluegrass Festival (www.scottvalleybluegrass.com). I look forward to this each year and it's a hoot if anybody can make it.

I will be sharing any interesting photos I get but here's a workup on a shot from last year. The girl was playing her mandolin during the Friday night street jam in Etna. I gave her a slight painterly look, isolated her from an uninteresting background and placed her on a brick wall background I created following a tutorial in Photoshop User Mag. I used layers, masks and blending modes to get the look I wanted. I believe the girl's mother was in one of the bands that played last year but I can't find a website for the band as I wanted to make the image available to the mom. In any event here she is:

Mandolin Girl

Chuck

Real Name
    John

Re: Mandolin Girl

very sharp, vivid colors.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Always like seeing your pictures from the festival, Chuck.

Not so sure that the brick wall is the best backdrop. Feels a bit 'hard' and stark. But I like your capture of the girl, absorbed in her music.

Real Name
    paul wilbur

Hi Guys..

This helps...

A simple rotate and a small sharpen.

brick is OK with me as long as the little girl story is stronger and eye catching.

I like the rotated image very much, aka: "a wall hanger"

perhaps next time, less frontal - shoot more to your right and a bit lower (makes her tlook more important by shooting from a low POV)

paul

Mandolin Girl

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thank you Donald...I knew I wanted to do something with the girl in another setting and the brick wall was handy because I had just created it. I was thinking I could echo the light on the wall in her hair with a bit of burning in....I did but it's not that obvious. Perhaps a plain texture would have been better than a brick wall but the wall seems to add interest.

Thanks Paul...I like the angular crop....demonstrates the different options for the image. A good reminder to think outside the box when creating.

Chuck

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

You really captured the little girl and her focus on playing her instrument. I do like the painterly look as well and the vibrancy of the colors in her top. If I were here mom, I would have loved a copy.