Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: First attempt at using a lightbox

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    116

    First attempt at using a lightbox

    Here a first attempt at lightboxing. Spent the entire afternoon cutting, pasting, tweaking a homemade lightbox.

    Canon 50mm ISO400. 1/60 at f4
    No PP except resizing and sharpening

    First attempt at using a lightbox
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 7th March 2009 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Split from Competition thread

  2. #2
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,071
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: First attempt at using a lightbox

    That's pretty impressive, you obviously knew what you were aiming for too, well done

  3. #3
    Bm7b5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    88
    Real Name
    Richard

    Re: First attempt at using a lightbox

    Nice !

  4. #4

    Re: First attempt at using a lightbox

    This is a dumb question... What is a lightbox?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ajman - U.A.E.
    Posts
    123

    Re: First attempt at using a lightbox

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazing fire View Post
    This is a dumb question... What is a lightbox?
    I think you should know what is the meaning of box, same like your camera box or lens box, so lightbox is a big box or different sizes that you put some stuff inside and shooting throw holes or even same the box walls if it is white transcendent so you get the stuff isolated from surround un-wanted reflecting and just get light from sources you direct on that box

    http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=Search+Images

  6. #6

    Re: First attempt at using a lightbox

    Quote Originally Posted by Tareq Alhemrani View Post
    I think you should know what is the meaning of box, same like your camera box or lens box, so lightbox is a big box or different sizes that you put some stuff inside and shooting throw holes or even same the box walls if it is white transcendent so you get the stuff isolated from surround un-wanted reflecting and just get light from sources you direct on that box

    http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=Search+Images
    Oh I see! Thanks a lot!

  7. #7
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,071
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: First attempt at using a lightbox

    Thanks Tareq,

    You had the same idea I did (link to pictures of)

    Cheers,

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: First attempt at using a lightbox

    Both very illuminating responses gentlemen!

  9. #9
    Roxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oz .. the best bit, Queensland
    Posts
    156

    Re: First attempt at using a lightbox

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrize View Post
    Here a first attempt at lightboxing. Spent the entire afternoon cutting, pasting, tweaking a homemade lightbox.
    I agree with others .. you got a very good result for this first attempt; I believe I'm getting old fashioned, because before I delved a little further into your topic, this was my impression of a "Lightbox".

    First attempt at using a lightbox

    I wonder how many CiC contributors use one these days?
    My most recent application was in copying dozens of slides using my wife's little Canon ixus60 which like many modern digi-compacts has astonishing close-up functionality.

  10. #10
    Davey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    530

    Re: First attempt at using a lightbox

    That was what I thought when lightbox was first mentioned. I don't own one but know many who still use them (more for art reasons than slides). I've resorted to sticking stuff on bright side of house windows these days (not for slides but art wise, proportion scaling grids to be exact, it's a long story).

    I never even thought of the application or construction of such a box until I read this thread. Sounds stupid but I never considered what was out of shot on those macro shots, as obvious as it is when you think about it. Yes observation is one of my specialities hehehe, I'm almost as good at paying attention as I am at actually thinking (if only you could get common sense pills, I'd want them almost as much as the packet of instant german accent pills I saw once).

  11. #11

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ajman - U.A.E.
    Posts
    123

    Re: First attempt at using a lightbox

    Lightbox is so cheap, i bought it from a local store, and because it was cheap i got 2 of them.
    Still i didn't use it because i don't have a good place to use this lightbox, my office is full of stuff and also i didn't find any table to put my lightbox on, but i will keep looking around and searching.

  12. #12
    atvinnys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Raleigh (NC/US), Paris
    Posts
    183

    Re: First attempt at using a lightbox

    this is really nice indeed...
    what I like is that obviously you didn't just slap an object in there and took a pic....I got to believe it was intentional to put the end of the strap in focus, and also have a good reflexion in the glass/bottom of the light box.(maybe not intentional, and you just have a very good feel for all that..)

    now, I wonder what would be the result if you didn't have your own black reflexion in the rim of the lens....I agree, difficult to avoid given the angle...but apparently you are up for challenges...

    good stuff. keep them coming..

    Vincent

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    116

    Re: First attempt at using a lightbox

    Quote Originally Posted by atvinnys View Post
    this is really nice indeed...
    what I like is that obviously you didn't just slap an object in there and took a pic....I got to believe it was intentional to put the end of the strap in focus, and also have a good reflexion in the glass/bottom of the light box.(maybe not intentional, and you just have a very good feel for all that..)

    now, I wonder what would be the result if you didn't have your own black reflexion in the rim of the lens....I agree, difficult to avoid given the angle...but apparently you are up for challenges...

    good stuff. keep them coming..

    Vincent
    You have good eyes, Vincent! I actually cloned out my very obvious reflection on the shutter button, but did not notice the soft one on the rim. Good observation!
    Yes, the strap was intentional, even though it took me quite a while to make it curve like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tareq Alhemrani View Post
    Lightbox is so cheap, i bought it from a local store, and because it was cheap i got 2 of them.
    Still i didn't use it because i don't have a good place to use this lightbox, my office is full of stuff and also i didn't find any table to put my lightbox on, but i will keep looking around and searching.
    Yes, the most expensive part of a lightbox is actually buying the lamps and lightbulbs!
    It would be interesting to see your results... perhaps with a black background which I forgot to try

    Here are a few other shots that turned out well.

    First attempt at using a lightbox

    First attempt at using a lightbox

    First attempt at using a lightbox

  14. #14
    atvinnys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Raleigh (NC/US), Paris
    Posts
    183

    Re: First attempt at using a lightbox

    a quick thought on the last set...
    I think the motorcycle would really gain from either being sideways (looks kinda 2D to me..).
    however, I am thinking along the line of placing a mirror to have a multi angle view (or a more reflecting floor, which was definitely a good addition in your first shot.)

    Vincent

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •