Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First with Fisheye Lens

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

First with Fisheye Lens

The Samyang 8mm fisheye arrived yesterday and I had to wait until 1415 hours as it was quite dark & raining earlier on to give it a go! But here is my first photo with a fisheye. The details are f5.6, 1/60, ISO 100. the lens is great fun and I will enjoy playing, (sorry, "experimenting") with it. I know that this is just a fun first try and I don't expect it to be perfect but C&C would be helpful for wen I get more serious with this technique.

First with Fisheye Lens

rob marshall

Re: First with Fisheye Lens

Andrew

Sorry to keep mentioning this (after the stream shot you posted) but you have a quite distinct yellow cast over your shots. Would you like to say what processing you do and get some help in fixing it? I'd quite like a fish-eye, but there doesn't seem to be many available for full-frame cameras. I think you won't get a more circular image on a crop-factor camera, but it looks like fun anyway!

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Andrew

Sorry to keep mentioning this (after the stream shot you posted) but you have a quite distinct yellow cast over your shots. Would you like to say what processing you do and get some help in fixing it? I'd quite like a fish-eye, but there doesn't seem to be many available for full-frame cameras. I think you won't get a more circular image on a crop-factor camera, but it looks like fun anyway!
    Rob,
    Thanks for this, I appreciate your comments and yes there is a yellowy feeling to it isn't there. Well as far as processing is concerned I tend to use Color Efex Pro as part of the workflow, guess I am overdoing it for some tastes. It is going to be fun using this lens as long as I don't overdo it! Cheers.
    Andrew-Bede

Real Name
    Kathy

Have fun! Main technique to be aware of with a fisheye is that horizon placement will affect the amount of distortion "feel". The closer the horizon is to the center of the frame, the less distortion you'll get. The more you pitch up/down, the more wackiness you'll introduce.

If you need help nailing manual focus, using liveview and 10x magnification can help, if your camera has the capability.

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Have fun! Main technique to be aware of with a fisheye is that horizon placement will affect the amount of distortion "feel". The closer the horizon is to the center of the frame, the less distortion you'll get. The more you pitch up/down, the more wackiness you'll introduce.

If you need help nailing manual focus, using liveview and 10x magnification can help, if your camera has the capability.
    Thanks for this and for the tips, it is certainly a lens to have fun with and to learn how to use! I don't know what liveview is and I am pretty sure my Canon 350D doesn't have it. Thanks again.

Andrew-Bede

Real Name
    paul wilbur

Welcome to the new and exciting visual world of the fisheye....

Do some basic image research and look at work already done using this very creative lens.

I shoot fisheyes with 6x6 and really enjoy the stunning results...

Good choice of weapons!

paul

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Thanks Paul. Any links to good stuff people have done?

Andrew-Bede