Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A very nice set of pins

Real Name
    Paul

A very nice set of pins

That made you all look

Not the sort you were all looking forward too im afraid, have had a little play in PSE9 and LR3, not to the standard of most on here but im learning, your views please.

A very nice set of pins

Real Name
    Peter

Re: A very nice set of pins

Hi Paul,

Pins is pins baby. I can see where you are going with this but my first impression is that the pins are not sharp. I think if you are shooting hard shapes like this then the subject needs to be sharp. To me flowers, faces, etc can have a soft focus but these need to be sharp.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks for the advice Peter, is this something I should be able to sort in PSE9 or only when taking the shot ?

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Paul,

Sorry I have been a bit busy lately. Yes you do need to add contrast and sharpening back to all digital files but in this case I am not sure it is just that. Maybe a little bit of camera shake from a slower shutter or the pins being so smooth the auto focus has had trouble pickng up a sharp edge to focus on. Also I assume this is a crop of the original shot. It might be that something cropped out was actually closer to the lens than the pins and the camera focused on that - Focus Mode = Closest to the camera subject priority. I am not sure what focus mode you use but single area focus is by far the best option and then focus on the subject, hold the shutter release half way down while you recompose and shoot.

Have a look at all these things to see if any covers your shooting situation. Let me know how you go.