Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Abandoned...

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama USA
    Posts
    135

    Abandoned...

    ...Louisville and Nashville Railroad tunnel.

    http://ericmcferrin.smugmug.com/Indu..._xK7QJCf-XL-LB

    This was really just a "preliminary" trip to find the tunnel with the intent to go back and shoot it. That being the case, my tripod, speedlights, etc were left behind. This is a handheld shot with the 50D at ISO 3200, 1/4 sec. The vanishing point, leading lines, colors, texture and reflections have me wanting to get back there asap. It is a cool place with great history.

    Thanks for looking.

    -Eric

  2. #2
    Letrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Haarlem, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,683
    Real Name
    Peter

    Re: Abandoned...

    That is a great looking tunnel. Weird light as well. Very nice series.

  3. #3
    rpcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    12,447
    Real Name
    Richard

    Re: Abandoned...

    Very nice looking series on smugmug.com...

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama USA
    Posts
    135

    Re: Abandoned...

    Thanks for the replies.

    Peter, the tunnel has 400' of concrete reinforcement in each entry. The sunlit foliage outside was reflecting the bright green color into the tunnel. It has a ghostly effect.

  5. #5

    Re: Abandoned...

    Fascinating Eric. The coal tipple is a great shot too. We live in the northwest of England so coal mining was everywhere. Sadly, the sites were cleared pretty quick after closure. There is a pit head museum at Astley and I did manage to go down the Chatterley-Whitfield pit just before it closed in the early 80's but given that mining was our biggest employer up to the mid eighties there is surprisingly little left. I always pay close attention to the urbex/industrial stuff. I grew up next to the largest derelict site in Europe at the time - a WWII munitions factory - great playground for us kids and we actually now live on what used to be part of the filling station complex. The brook at the back of the house was once a section of the defense dyke. There are a few bunkers left and a scattering of concrete posts that carried service lines and electrified defence wiring but not much left. A whole new town was plonked right on top of it in the late seventies

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama USA
    Posts
    135

    Re: Abandoned...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Fascinating Eric. The coal tipple is a great shot too. We live in the northwest of England so coal mining was everywhere. Sadly, the sites were cleared pretty quick after closure. There is a pit head museum at Astley and I did manage to go down the Chatterley-Whitfield pit just before it closed in the early 80's but given that mining was our biggest employer up to the mid eighties there is surprisingly little left. I always pay close attention to the urbex/industrial stuff. I grew up next to the largest derelict site in Europe at the time - a WWII munitions factory - great playground for us kids and we actually now live on what used to be part of the filling station complex. The brook at the back of the house was once a section of the defense dyke. There are a few bunkers left and a scattering of concrete posts that carried service lines and electrified defence wiring but not much left. A whole new town was plonked right on top of it in the late seventies
    Hi Steve,

    One day I'd love to visit England and learn more about its industrial history. It sounds like you are a knowledgeable source of information.

    It is always good to hear from other folks interested in industrial history (and the photography of it). English contributions to overall industrialization are huge. English industrial history had such a profound impact on my local area. The cities of Birmingham and Bessemer (obviously English names) are two of my primary haunts. I recently found a piece of English steel in a hoisting engine building that dates to the early 1880s. I believe it originated in Dronfield. It was found in this structure http://ericmcferrin.smugmug.com/Indu...97_vQPab-XL-LB.

    I am very fortunate to work in historic preservation full time around the former red ore (iron) mines on Birmingham's Red Mountain. www.redmountainpark.org That said, all metals industry (especially local) is of interest to me. Iron mining, coal mining, coke production, blast furnace operations, steel production, foundry work, and railroads are all really part of the same story amazing story. This industry built world powers, won world wars, and produced the high standard of living we have become accustomed to.

    It is enjoyable to mix a love for industrial history with photography.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    SW France
    Posts
    96
    Real Name
    Mike

    Re: Abandoned...

    Excellent series Eric, some great photos amongst them.

    Its a very good idea to capture these images of times past. One can only imagine how different these places would have been in their heyday, filled with noise, smoke, fire and sweating men wielding shovels and hammers. And now only silence and crumbling brickwork remain.
    A sad reminder of how temporary we all are, but very photogenic !

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama USA
    Posts
    135

    Re: Abandoned...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pandrion View Post
    Excellent series Eric, some great photos amongst them.

    Its a very good idea to capture these images of times past. One can only imagine how different these places would have been in their heyday, filled with noise, smoke, fire and sweating men wielding shovels and hammers. And now only silence and crumbling brickwork remain.
    A sad reminder of how temporary we all are, but very photogenic !
    Thanks Mike.

    These abandoned places do have a mystery about them that tends to draw you in. Remembering what went on "back in the day" makes visiting the sites even more interesting.

    For anyone interested in a brief background on the tunnel in this thread... http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...ad.php?t=23316

    For a more detailed look at another abandoned RR tunnel...
    http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...ad.php?t=22923

    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to look at the images and commenting on them.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Gloucester UK
    Posts
    455
    Real Name
    John Wright

    Re: Abandoned...

    Went through them and then came back at full size-I think the Locos were my favs. Top class series ,really enjoyed viewing them.Thanks.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama USA
    Posts
    135

    Re: Abandoned...

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Went through them and then came back at full size-I think the Locos were my favs. Top class series ,really enjoyed viewing them.Thanks.
    Thanks John! I appreciate the feedback and am glad to hear that you enjoyed the images.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •