Thread: southern super-cell in georgia

Real Name
    lee

southern super-cell in georgia

Real Name
    John Wright

Re: southern super-cell in georgia

Good lightning capture and it looks to be quite close too. I assume that scud (above the 5 bright lights on the horizon,) was rotating at speed around the base. Judging by the trees it doesn't look to be good chase country down there.

Do you photograph the storms often ?

Real Name
    lee

yea, there's alot of trees here. about all that is here actually. i usually find a high flat spot. this time of year, because of our 100 degree temp and +80% humidity makes for interesting weather in the afternoon. not many as well formed as this, but there will always be small storms somewhere. i am however, unfamiliar with a scud. what is that? this pic shows the cell's full body

Looks like an angry little storm... Good job capturing it.

Real Name
    John Wright

Scud is all the ragged cloud that hangs out the bottom.

http://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/i...kansas-00084j/

Ref. the lightning,it looked quite close,I wondered what f-number you had and it was f5.6., that's too open for close lightning and it's almost blown out -when it's that close I'd go to f8 also ISO 400 is too high-you could play around with that too but generally it should be 100/200. 400 is fine if it's not bright enough because it's a way off. One of my best shots was at f11, it was really close stuff..Just something to bear in mind for next time, with lightning it's a bit of trial and error initially as you check the LCD. Sometimes I go with the timer but most times I use a remote and then I can close the shutter after a strike unless I want a few more in the same frame.,I just find lightning fascinating.

Real Name
    lee

f/5
    EXP: 3.2sec
    ISO-400

yea, the remote was the the key element in catching it, whether it be on a timer or free shooting. in the afternoon i usually start at with a high ISO but i turn it up as the evening fades

Real Name
    John Wright

You're fortunate ( although not all would agree with that term with reference to lightning Lol) that you get so many TS's and sometimes almost continuous lightning so you can afford to try different settings and mess up a few so maybe next time you could experiment a bit always checking the LCD ,starting with ISO 100 and 200 and f4 through 8. I don't know any of the profs. on my Tours who had the ISO up at 400. Look forward to seeing some more.