Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Late Afternoon Welcome...

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Late Afternoon Welcome...

I got some throat problem so I had to rest for a while. Getting bored inside the house, thought I'd just take a walk around the backyard for some fresh air. I was greeted by this nice late afternoon light that gives this yellowish hue everywhere. Then, I noticed how the light gives this nice rim light effect on the tree where this wood hanger was located. I took my D70 and clicked 3 shots with different exposures hoping to capture that nice atmosphere that I saw. Thank you very much for viewing.

Late Afternoon Welcome...

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Late Afternoon Welcome...

Willie,

Do you think Babe Ruth ever got tired of hitting homeruns? I ask because every time you share a shot, it seems to be a homerun...

Another well captured image. I don't know if this is what you want to hear, but for me, the best thing about it is the background - the soft DoF gives just enough detail that I want to walk past the Welcome sign and explore the scene. So the Welcome sign works great to do just that - welcome me into the scene. That lovely yellow light is fantastic on the tree, and on the plants in the background.

Honestly, the only thing I would change is to have used a wider angle lens with a larger angle of view or stepped back further with the lens you have on, to make the Welcome sign a smaller element of the photo - maybe half the size that it is - such that it could still be a major player in the image, but to provide more of that soft bokeh background to let my eyes wander and explore.

- Bill

PS: Hope you feel better soon!

Real Name
    John Wright

Sore/infected throats can really get you down - hope it clears up soon.

Agree with what Bill says and how nice to have a welcome sign up- You don't see them here. What you see here is, 'Keep out -Private' '

Real Name

Thank you very much, Bill.

As for the background, trust me, you wouldn't want to see the totality of it. The kids just tossed the sunflower seeds everywhere so when they grew they grew everywhere and scattered. We are also surrounded by chainlink fences so its not a good thing to add to the scene. Luckily, I got myself closer to the subject so I can blur the fences out even at an aperture of f/8.

Real Name

Thanks, John. We also have a lot of private signs in the neighborhood, specially the one with the big houses around.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hey Willie
    Hope you are feeling a bit better. One thing for sure, you feeling poorly and under the weather has done nothing to dampen your great eye with the camera. Great shot. Comment? Nothing much to add which would be of value. Maybe I agree that the sign would have been better a little smaller to give us a better overall view in toto? As for your comments on the background? Well, sometimes I like to see it as is, natural and lived in, not chocolate box pristine to impress the visitors! Bit like the old comparison of living in a home versus a house. Nice shot Willie. Thanks for sharing. Get well soon.
    Cheers
    Ken

Real Name

Thank you very much for dropping by, Ken. I'll try to take another shot with all your recommendations included. I have to cook dinner for now.
    Last edited by jiro; 29th June 2011 at 12:22 AM.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Thank you very much for dropping by, Ken. I'll try to take another shot with all your recommendations included. I have to cook dinner for now.
    Beauty mate! What time are you serving up? I don't want to be late for tucker time and miss out! What are we having?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Beauty mate! What time are you serving up? I don't want to be late for tucker time and miss out! What are we having?
    Oh, I just prepared some fish cooked in coconut milk with some ginger and chili for some punch. Coupled it with Chinese fried rice and some nice orange juice and water melon for dessert. Too bad we ate it all and nothing's left. Hehehe. I was too full that I forgot to take the camera out to take some shots. I think the chili helped the throat a little bit 'coz the itchiness subside.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Too bad we ate it all and nothing's left. Hehehe.
    Greedy lot!