Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your insects

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Post your insects

Quote Originally Posted by Pandrion View Post
    You are right Peter about the hair on that bumblebee, it looks like a guinea pig from an alien planet !

What I like about bumblebees (apart from the fact that they look like the Winnie the Pooh's of the insect world) is that they help me counter my weaknesses. I am too slow often to shoot an insect from really up close, but bumblebees need their rest now and then after a long day's work. This one stayed where he was for quite a while, enabling me to get to within a centimeter for my macro shot.

Real Name
    Wendy

Lots of great shots here. I can't come close to matching the sharpness on any of them, but I can't resist contributing. I really don't like these wild strawberry plants, but for better or worse the insects seem to love them so I'll leave them be.

Post your insects

Post your insects

Post your insects

Wendy

Real Name
    Wendy

Definitely not a macro but... Ladybug showed up while trying to shoot the flowers. It would not sit still like a good ladybug should, so it is not very sharp, but I still like it.

Post your insects

Wendy

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Lots of great shots here. I can't come close to matching the sharpness on any of them, but I can't resist contributing. I really don't like these wild strawberry plants, but for better or worse the insects seem to love them so I'll leave them be.

Post your insects

Post your insects

Post your insects

Wendy
    They are actually quite sharp. Funny enough the contrast in your first shot is higher than in the second one, which makes the fly stand out a bit more. What lens do you use for these? I am looking at what gear you use and am not familiar with the Panasonic lenses, so is this done with the Nikon 18-200mm?

I am a big newbie to photography. Macro photography really grabbed my attention! Turns out it is not as easy as it looks. Here is what I have so far.

Post your insects

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    They are actually quite sharp.
    Thanks Peter, but I do not get the detail that some of you guys do.

Funny enough the contrast in your first shot is higher than in the second one, which makes the fly stand out a bit more.
    Right you are. I always end up doing things like this. There was no reason really except that I was just fooling around trying to tone down the greens and I thought the ant would show up better with the lighter green - wrong again . Thanks for the feedback.

What lens do you use for these? I am looking at what gear you use and am not familiar with the Panasonic lenses, so is this done with the Nikon 18-200mm?
    All of these were taken with the Nikon kit lens 18-55mm and a set of close up filters that screw on the front of the lens. I had them left from my old film camera and lo and behold they fit the lens I have now, so I have been using them for really small flowers and any bugs that come into frame. As far as sharpness, considering the lens, the filters and being hand held, these are not bad (I guess), I know if I was not so lazy (tripod), I could do better. I was lucky to have good light this day. They were shot at f16 (with the filters DOF is microscopic with the lens opened up) and I still had a fast enough shutter speed - sort of.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Wendy

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by CoralReefer View Post
    I am a big newbie to photography. Macro photography really grabbed my attention! Turns out it is not as easy as it looks. Here is what I have so far.

Post your insects
    He does look fearsome, doesn't he (she)? Welcome on the forum I think (looking at your post count).
    And now everyone will be interested in what your first name is as well

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    All of these were taken with the Nikon kit lens 18-55mm and a set of close up filters that screw on the front of the lens. I had them left from my old film camera and lo and behold they fit the lens I have now, so I have been using them for really small flowers and any bugs that come into frame. As far as sharpness, considering the lens, the filters and being hand held, these are not bad (I guess), I know if I was not so lazy (tripod), I could do better. I was lucky to have good light this day. They were shot at f16 (with the filters DOF is microscopic with the lens opened up) and I still had a fast enough shutter speed - sort of.
    Wendy
    Close-up filters, well well... that is interesting. I actually bought some for my 18-200mm (because they are pretty cheap anyway), but then the 105mm macro came my way and the rest is history as they say.
    But I liked those close-up filters, the performance seemed quite good. Your 18-55mm focuses closer than the 18-200mm I think, so with those filters you should be able to get closer, right? Or is this as close as it gets?
    And there was something special about these photos and now I think it is the bokeh that these filters produce. I like that ladybug especially with that bit of blue sky behind it.

Real Name
    Peter

Post your insects
    One of the bumblebees. This one looks like he got into some trouble. His wings look ragged. I hope it doesn't affect his flying abilities.

Real Name
    Jacinta

Post your insects
    Last edited by Princesa007; 30th June 2011 at 06:57 PM.

Real Name
    Bill S

Here are a couple from two summers ago...

Aphids on rose bud:
    Post your insects

And the lady[bug|bird] larvae that was preying on them:
    Post your insects

Figured I'd share something different... hope you enjoy.

- Bill

Real Name
    Jim

Screw-worm Fly (I Think)

Post your insects

Real Name
    Paul

Dragonfly

Post your insects

Post your insects

Post your insects
    Last edited by Pstearns; 30th June 2011 at 06:14 PM.

Real Name
    Peter

Post your insects
    chrysolina americana
    Last edited by Letrow; 2nd July 2011 at 07:50 PM.

Real Name
    Ron

Went to the University of Florida Butterfly Exhibit for the first time today and found a place i will revisit many times.A very cool place that is housed with the Museum of Natural History.This is the first of what will be many butterfly photo's that i will probably post on this thread and forum.C&C are nvery welcome.Thanks...Ron

Post your insects

Real Name
    Wendy

Stunning Ron, look forward to seeing more

Wendy

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Rasbury View Post
    Went to the University of Florida Butterfly Exhibit for the first time today and found a place i will revisit many times.A very cool place that is housed with the Museum of Natural History.This is the first of what will be many butterfly photo's that i will probably post on this thread and forum.C&C are nvery welcome.Thanks...Ron
    Beautiful butterfly Ron and nice composition. Believe me, I know how hard it is to get them to sit still

Post your insects
    the Pieridae or small white. I shot this one yesterday and my 'technique' was to get closer all the time. Basically I circled him and this was the closest he allowed me...

This was one of the earlier shots:
    Post your insects

In the end I liked the first one best. What do you think?
    Last edited by Letrow; 4th July 2011 at 09:43 AM.

Real Name
    Seri

Love his curly proboscis, dappled eyes, and the way the leaf echoes the shape of his wings.

I came here to learn how to do landscapes but have already been seduced by spiders, and now, insects I have a great fondness for flies, and find them very beautiful. Sorry I haven't ID'd this one yet.

Seri

Post your insects

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Seriche View Post
    Love his curly proboscis, dappled eyes, and the way the leaf echoes the shape of his wings.

I came here to learn how to do landscapes but have already been seduced by spiders, and now, insects I have a great fondness for flies, and find them very beautiful. Sorry I haven't ID'd this one yet.

Seri

Post your insects
    Nice one Seri, you got pretty close and have great detail here.
    I don't like like flies really, but I do find them fascinating and I do photograph them. But if I look at the hairs on this fly and compare it to the tedddy bear like bumblebee, I think this one is definitely less cuddly.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Pstearns View Post
    Dragonfly

Post your insects
    Beautiful dragonfly Paul. We have some beauties around here as well, but they refuse to sit still. I love the detail on the wing.

Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast