Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Departure

  1. #1
    manthos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    252

    Departure

    Departure

    I've tried to make a very simple frame for this.
    Your C&C are always welcome!

  2. #2
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Departure

    I like it. It looks unorthodox with the way you positioned your main subject and the horizon but still the image looks great. Even your frame add something to the whole experience of looking at it. I wonder if you are inclined to to do a square crop on this one cropping the image at the intersection of the diagonal shoreline with the right side border. Just an idea. Nice work, Giannis.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    81
    Real Name
    Doug

    Re: Departure

    It is very pleasing to the eye for me. I would also like to see a colour version of this with warm tones. That would make it look like the beginning of a new and wonderful day.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chandigarh, India
    Posts
    1,541
    Real Name
    Sahil Jain

    Re: Departure

    Very powerful shot, Giannis.
    I agree with Jiro, A tighter crop will help this image more.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    At present I live in Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    30
    Real Name
    Jim Payne

    Re: Departure

    Hello, nice shot! Maybe a tighter crop would help the image, but from another view point the emptiness of the sand also show or re enforces the idea of a departure and being left alone.
    Jim

  6. #6
    manthos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    252

    Re: Departure

    Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    It looks unorthodox with the way you positioned your main subject and the horizon but still the image looks great.
    I'm just experimenting on composition

    Quote Originally Posted by jimpayne View Post
    Maybe a tighter crop would help the image, but from another view point the emptiness of the sand also show or re enforces the idea of a departure and being left alone.
    This is exactly what I think.

  7. #7
    manthos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    252

    Re: Departure

    Here come the special deliveries

    One for Jiro and Sahil
    Departure

    And one for Doug
    Departure

  8. #8
    rob marshall

    Re: Departure

    This one is very Kaskaisian too (like 'Alone')! It must be something to do with the Med sun doing something to photographers brains It certainly works well, whatever it is. Like it very much.

  9. #9

    Re: Departure

    Giannis

    I am going to be a pain and disagree with the tighter crop. It brings us in too close and we lose some of the isolation of the figure. This has the effect of removing the contemplative atmosphere of the shot. The first crop may be unorthodox but it works wonderfully in this case.

    If I were to take the shears to it at all I would go for a tall narrow aspect cropping of a 1/4 of the frame to the right (leaving the primary hill intact). This would also mean that the beach would intersect with the r/h edge of the frame at the lower third thus balancing the composition. Just a thought but to be honest i could take it or leave it because I do like the first offering.

  10. #10
    rob marshall

    Re: Departure

    Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Giannis

    I am going to be a pain and disagree with the tighter crop. It brings us in too close and we lose some of the isolation of the figure. This has the effect of removing the contemplative atmosphere of the shot. The first crop may be unorthodox but it works wonderfully in this case.

    If I were to take the shears to it at all I would go for a tall narrow aspect cropping of a 1/4 of the frame to the right (leaving the primary hill intact). This would also mean that the beach would intersect with the r/h edge of the frame at the lower third thus balancing the composition. Just a thought but to be honest i could take it or leave it because I do like the first offering.
    Yes, I agree. The first one has more depth to it, and that seems to me to give it more tension. There seems, in the original to be a definite connection between the man and that rock pier. In the cropped version that seems to be lost. I can't understand why, but it definitely seems that way to me. Original is best.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    At present I live in Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    30
    Real Name
    Jim Payne

    Re: Departure

    Ok, my friend after these reviews you can come to your own conclusions. We were right! Just keep on doing what your doing and you will learn as we do. There is no RIGHT, the RIGHT is the cool photo! Remember, we started photography for enjoyment, NOT COMPATION!!!!

  12. #12
    speedneeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Owensboro, KY
    Posts
    1,532
    Real Name
    Brian

    Re: Departure

    I like all versions, but I really like the color version with the gold tones.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chandigarh, India
    Posts
    1,541
    Real Name
    Sahil Jain

    Re: Departure

    Hi Giannis,

    Now having looked at the cropped version, I agree with others that the first version is certainly better. & yea, I too like the coloured version. I like the hues.

  14. #14
    Markvetnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    639
    Real Name
    Mark

    Re: Departure

    I like the first version. Great lines and contrasts. Nice textures too. I much prefer the B&W version. Well done Giannis.

  15. #15
    manthos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    252

    Re: Departure

    Thank you all for your comments!

    Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    It must be something to do with the Med sun doing something to photographers brains
    Greek photographer's brains are also affected by ouzo...

  16. #16
    manthos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    252

    Re: Departure

    This is another crop as suggested by Steve

    Departure

    The white line is off and I also increased the black frame dimensions a little.
    I'm feeling that it keeps the mood intact and adds more tension to the image. What are your thoughts?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •