Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Departure

Departure

Departure

I've tried to make a very simple frame for this.
    Your C&C are always welcome!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Departure

I like it. It looks unorthodox with the way you positioned your main subject and the horizon but still the image looks great. Even your frame add something to the whole experience of looking at it. I wonder if you are inclined to to do a square crop on this one cropping the image at the intersection of the diagonal shoreline with the right side border. Just an idea. Nice work, Giannis.

Real Name
    Doug

It is very pleasing to the eye for me. I would also like to see a colour version of this with warm tones. That would make it look like the beginning of a new and wonderful day.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Very powerful shot, Giannis.
    I agree with Jiro, A tighter crop will help this image more.

Real Name
    Jim Payne

Hello, nice shot! Maybe a tighter crop would help the image, but from another view point the emptiness of the sand also show or re enforces the idea of a departure and being left alone.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    It looks unorthodox with the way you positioned your main subject and the horizon but still the image looks great.
    I'm just experimenting on composition

Quote Originally Posted by jimpayne View Post
    Maybe a tighter crop would help the image, but from another view point the emptiness of the sand also show or re enforces the idea of a departure and being left alone.
    This is exactly what I think.

Here come the special deliveries

One for Jiro and Sahil
    Departure

And one for Doug
    Departure

rob marshall

This one is very Kaskaisian too (like 'Alone')! It must be something to do with the Med sun doing something to photographers brains It certainly works well, whatever it is. Like it very much.

Giannis

I am going to be a pain and disagree with the tighter crop. It brings us in too close and we lose some of the isolation of the figure. This has the effect of removing the contemplative atmosphere of the shot. The first crop may be unorthodox but it works wonderfully in this case.

If I were to take the shears to it at all I would go for a tall narrow aspect cropping of a 1/4 of the frame to the right (leaving the primary hill intact). This would also mean that the beach would intersect with the r/h edge of the frame at the lower third thus balancing the composition. Just a thought but to be honest i could take it or leave it because I do like the first offering.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Giannis

I am going to be a pain and disagree with the tighter crop. It brings us in too close and we lose some of the isolation of the figure. This has the effect of removing the contemplative atmosphere of the shot. The first crop may be unorthodox but it works wonderfully in this case.

If I were to take the shears to it at all I would go for a tall narrow aspect cropping of a 1/4 of the frame to the right (leaving the primary hill intact). This would also mean that the beach would intersect with the r/h edge of the frame at the lower third thus balancing the composition. Just a thought but to be honest i could take it or leave it because I do like the first offering.
    Yes, I agree. The first one has more depth to it, and that seems to me to give it more tension. There seems, in the original to be a definite connection between the man and that rock pier. In the cropped version that seems to be lost. I can't understand why, but it definitely seems that way to me. Original is best.

Real Name
    Jim Payne

Ok, my friend after these reviews you can come to your own conclusions. We were right! Just keep on doing what your doing and you will learn as we do. There is no RIGHT, the RIGHT is the cool photo! Remember, we started photography for enjoyment, NOT COMPATION!!!!

Real Name
    Brian

I like all versions, but I really like the color version with the gold tones.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Hi Giannis,

Now having looked at the cropped version, I agree with others that the first version is certainly better. & yea, I too like the coloured version. I like the hues.

Real Name
    Mark

I like the first version. Great lines and contrasts. Nice textures too. I much prefer the B&W version. Well done Giannis.

Thank you all for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    It must be something to do with the Med sun doing something to photographers brains
    Greek photographer's brains are also affected by ouzo...

This is another crop as suggested by Steve

Departure

The white line is off and I also increased the black frame dimensions a little.
    I'm feeling that it keeps the mood intact and adds more tension to the image. What are your thoughts?