Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Our Comox Valley downtown farm

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

Our Comox Valley downtown farm

Please, note those pix had very limited post processing as I'm learning to take pictures before learning to perfect the finishing. thanks.

Last edited by mariejo; 26th June 2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: more pix just won't load !

Re: Our Comox Valley downtown farm

I'm learning to take pictures before learning to perfect the finishing.
    I hear what you are saying Marie-Josee but isn't that a bit like not processing the film in the dark room until you have mastered the camera. How will you know when you have mastered taking photographs. Digital photography and PP go very much hand in hand as it did with film photography before it. In the worst case you could end up trashing hundreds of images that could be real winners with some tender loving PP

That aside, the first shot looks a little murky - it needs PP also whilst you have good compositional layering I am not sure what I am looking at (focal point). The cropping is too close at the top of the frame, so much so that you have lost the tops off of the mountains.

The second shot needs some straightening and again It is lacking a real focal point. It is quite common with beginners to find tree limbs and such obscuring the view. This is far from accidental since it is usually added as a point of interest or as natural framing. In the blossom needs to be either the focal point or omitted altogether. These things are invariably introduced as frame fillers when the scene lacks interest and I believe this could be the case here. All that said you have done pretty well with exposure and the second shot was certainly challenging in that respect.

I hope I do not sound to harsh (its to hot here in the UK today so I am like a bear with a sore head) but It really only takes practice to start seeing scenes as photographs. We all have to go through this. But I would seriously change your mind about PP you will get so much more satisfaction from your images

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

Re: Our Comox Valley downtown farm

Steve, I understand what you mean, but sometimes, I feel like the 'whole' technical issues from almost every pictures I see here sometimes takes the ' fun' out of it just by reading it... I do know PP is part of photography and goes hand in hand with it so, I guess I just wanted to know if I had something here... first picture was not crop at all: I just max out the distance to include as much as I could and I did have many good comments about it. The second one, I did put that ' branch' on purpose trying to get artsy... I guess that wasn't a good success....thanks though for your comments...they are really appreciated...