Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Adobe Lightroom 3

Real Name
    Mathieu

Adobe Lightroom 3

Just came back from vacation, and now looking and adjusting my new photos.

While adjusting my photos I noticed that when I modify small settings (minor, like bit of exposure, fill lights and by few points only) that my image start looking like it has a lot of noise. But when I zoom-in the noise is gone, unlike "real" noise where you see it bigger. And when I open my image using photoshop and look at it unzoomed, I don't see the noise I see in Lightroom. Is it normal? Who's "right"?

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Adobe Lightroom 3

Happened to me, too a couple of days ago. Try to update your version. My problem was gone when I update mine. Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Mathieu

"Your version is up to date". Doesn't go well damn

My version is 3.4.1, what's your?

Real Name

Same. Check if your ACR in Photoshop is up to date, too.

Real Name
    Mathieu

In Lightroom, ACR is version 6.4.1. Could it be a different version between PS and Lightroom?

Also I just noticed that the "noise" is removed when I return to "Library" mode. It only show in Develop Mode... Strange. Is it a "mode" that I don't know the option?

Real Name

I can't say, Mathieu. What I did notice was that the "noise" or graininess that I noticed just went away when I updated my version. What if you contact Adobe? Maybe they have an explanation on what you noticed on your system.

Real Name
    Mathieu

Made some test again. In library mode when I watch the photo since the first time since Lightroom was loaded, I get the ugly noise. I then view the image in 1:1 and the noise is gone, return to Fit and the noise is still gone.

In develop When I go 1:1 the noise is gone, but when I come back in "Fit" the noise is back, unlike the Library mode.

I made more test, if you ever have time (and willing to) make some test to see if the problem can be reproduced. On an image which has a lot of blacks, with 0 modification, If I put Recovery at 9, the photo is correct. If I put it at 10 the strange noise apear. And still in 1:1 that noise doesn't exist.

Still I opened a discussion on Adobe Lightroom to see if the problem is known.

Real Name

How big is your file size? My camera is only 6MP, perhaps the file size is also a factor? I have one big file from Bobobird. I'll use that as my test file. I'll revert to you after my test.

Real Name

I loaded a 28MB image file. Opened it in LR, created a virtual copy, adjusted the exposure to -2 EV and viewed it 1:1 in develop mode - NO NOISE. Transferred my mode to LIBRARY - NO NOISE on any of the viewing size from Fit to 3:1. Does this happen to all your images or just an isolated case with a certain dark image? Usually if the image is dark noise is mostly lurking on those areas.

Real Name
    Mathieu

My camera is 12.2 MP.

The noise only appeared after I hit 10 Recovery. There was NO noise at all with 9 recovery and lower. And It's probably just a display bug because when I hit that "Treshold" recovery value, the noise is constant. It's not increasing or decreasing as I move the slider. It's just there until I get below the treshold.

I made some test again, I loaded up my image, at 0% exposition, 8 or more Recovery show noise, at 0.51% exposure, I have to hit 23 to get the noise. And still, in library mode, zoom-in, zoom-out and the noise is gone. But once I return in develop mode, it's there.