Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I admit it I was scared... Decaying Church

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

I admit it I was scared... Decaying Church

I have been scoping out this place for a bit now. It is an abandoned Greek Orthodox church called St. Nicholas (maybe Nikolaus) in Pittsburgh. It's in a rough spot, it has been declared a historic site but likely will never be restored due to its location. So it just sits... and decays. I'm not happy with the pictures but I wanted to share anyway. I can honestly say that I was scared taking these pictures. Hence I did not stay very long and the composition wasnt given much thought. I plan to go back with a friend. Not only is it just plain scary it was evident that homeless people have been around. As for a ghost type thing... well you tell me.

look at this image closely do you see it too?

Obviously these images have been ran through CS5. I tried to make the staircase look creepy with 2 levels of blur, dodging and other masks. Again this image I am not proud of... it really goes to show what well thought out composition can do. please feel free to comment on the pp.

As for the door. just some darkening and color adjustments...

NOW THE REALLY SCARY PART!!! notice the window on the left door? Is it me or do you see a face looking like a wailing soul? That is SOOC!
    Last edited by KTHXBAI; 25th June 2011 at 05:56 AM.

Re: I admit it I was scared... Decaying Church

I really enjoy these photos my main PP problem is the vignetting on the second photo.... however with that said I not a fan of that process anyway to me it says that you need to draw the viewer eye to your focal point and in your second photo I don't see a call for it.. I think what it is is that its just to dark but I love the photos great job

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn O View Post
    second photo I don't see a call for it.. I think what it is is that its just to dark but I love the photos great job
    Thanks! i was not very happy with the second one either. I think I went over the top on the PP to make it look spooky.

Real Name
    Bobo

I am told that Casper and friends do not like churches but dont mind playing around other places

Nice set PP or not. Creepy ? Not that much.

Real Name
    Steve

I took some photo's of the inside of my local church and although I thought I was on my own had stones thrown in my direction. Later I heard the windows had previously been broken from the inside.

I like the door the best; I think I will leave it closed.

Real Name
    Wendy

Yes, I see the face and I think you must go back and investigate. This looks like a great place to shoot, but like you say, take a friend. This setting looks like it could evoke many emotions, and it might not seem so creepy if you are not alone. I'd like to see more.

I like both of these shots, but agree on the vignette especially in the first one, I would like to be able to see what looks like an old rusty bell above the door.
    I would really like the second one without the vignette, straightened and maybe a bit cropped from the bottom.

Wendy