Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Upward

Upward

I can't hear a thing today and feeling a right droopy drawers so I had a good play on GIMP. This one I sort of half like but I have a niggle that something does not quite balance. C&C welcome.

Upward

Re: Upward

I love the Slytherin green light on it (but there is light), how it seems like there was nothing before - climbing out of darkness - really, something that I understand beyond my words - going into something I can't see. Maybe, this part of the stairs is all that's in the consciousness, at the moment - right where we're at. We're not on the stairs but that doesn't matter - it's okay to step back and look. No rails, nothing seems to support it but there's still something there to climb and it's concrete. How does concrete float? Wonderful shapes in the image!!!

I can't help but think about Escher but, maybe, there was something similar that we're all experiencing - you know - us upside down types. It wouldn't be exactly the same thing cuz I'm me and you're you but,...something that you just have to be able to relate to.... (sorry, am I bad? I don't mean to be and I really mean it, you know.)

After crying for six hours straight, today, it makes perfect sense to me, too. I think it's brilliant! I'm going for ice cream.
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 25th June 2011 at 07:39 PM.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I love the Slytherin green light on it (but there is light), how it seems like there was nothing before - climbing out of darkness - really, something that I understand beyond my words - going into something I can't see. Maybe, this part of the stairs is all that's in the consciousness, at the moment - right where we're at. We're not on the stairs but that doesn't matter - it's okay to step back and look. No rails, nothing seems to support it but there's still something there to climb and it's concrete. How does concrete float? Wonderful shapes in the image!!!

I can't help but think about Escher but, maybe, there was something similar that we're all experiencing - you know - us upside down types. It wouldn't be exactly the same thing cuz I'm me and you're you but,...something that you just have to be able to relate to.... (sorry, am I bad? I don't mean to be and I really mean it, you know.)

After crying for six hours straight, today, it makes perfect sense to me, too. I think it's brilliant! I'm going for ice cream.
    That's exactly what I was going to say, Katy.

Come live with me the next three weeks... I'm home alone. We can walk on the beach, eat ice cream, pizza - do you like pizza?... talk and cry... then start all over. ( I sent you an e-mail with another address and my phone # call anytime if you need an ear...)

Steve - When I first saw the image... the thought that came to mind was... stairs from nowhere to nowhere... just like my life these days... stuck... don't even know where and don't know where to go or how to go if I did. I like it a lot... but now I'm more depressed than I was before. So... I ate jalapeno flavored potato chips... good thing I walked 6 miles this morning.
    Last edited by ilovelucydog; 24th June 2011 at 10:22 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

This is excellent!!! Great eye to invision this. Clipping everything out except the edge of the steps is brilliant!! Like this alot, fantastic shot.

I really like it! Playing with lines and geometry is nice. Playing with lines, geometry and light is fascinating!

but now I'm more depressed than I was before
    Katy. Mary I am both pleased and sorry at your reaction to this one. Pleased that the image has given pause for thought but sorry that you are both feeling down in the dumps. You are right Katy there is a touch of Escher. I didn't think about it at the time but it is there.
    I love the Slytherin green light on it (but there is light)
    There is always light I was working with this in b/w but something was missing. It had to have a light that was not necessarily enlightening.
    This is excellent!!! Great eye to invision this. Clipping everything out except the edge of the steps is brilliant!! Like this alot, fantastic shot.
    Thanks Steve, much appreciated. This image was far to busy in its out of camera form. I liked it because of the way the light caught the steps but apart from that it was fairly humdrum. I keep preaching on about less is more and how dead space stimulates the brain more than detail - so I dragged to exposure slider to the left until practically only the highlights were visible. The rest is a fair bit of cloning, dodging and burning.

I really like it! Playing with lines and geometry is nice. Playing with lines, geometry and light is fascinating!
    Glad you like it Glannis. I am experimenting with hard lines but the light is very necessary to give that perception of depth.